Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbe to wheel building, will be getting a set of Kinlin XR31T's in the mail tomorrow. I'm wondering if I should be using washers when I build them up. Anyone have any experience with these rims who can suggest ? I'll be using DT Swiss Alpine iii spokes.

Thanks.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Not necessary. You can choose to use a small washer such as Sapim's Polyax washers, but it's not necessary. We don't use them.

Chamfer/deburr the inside of the spoke holes. We use a special tool made primarily from a Dremel 125 high speed cutting bit, spun by a low speed electric screw driver. A 6mm drill bit and hand drill works too. You just want to round off the sharp inside edge, not dig into the rim.

I recommend grease or oil on the nipple body both as a lubricant during build and as a corrosion preventer during the life of the wheel.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Not necessary. You can choose to use a small washer such as Sapim's Polyax washers, but it's not necessary. We don't use them.

Chamfer/deburr the inside of the spoke holes. We use a special tool made primarily from a Dremel 125 high speed cutting bit, spun by a low speed electric screw driver. A 6mm drill bit and hand drill works too. You just want to round off the sharp inside edge, not dig into the rim.

I recommend grease or oil on the nipple body both as a lubricant during build and as a corrosion preventer during the life of the wheel.
I've been using a #2 phillips bit on a drill. It leaves a nice clean silver ring on the edge of the spoke hole. It will knock off any burrs at spoke hole without diggin into rim too much

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been using a #2 phillips bit on a drill. It leaves a nice clean silver ring on the edge of the spoke hole. It will knock off any burrs at spoke hole without diggin into rim too much
That's easy. Thanks.

You happy with the rims?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts