Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what people do to prolong the life of bibs/shorts jerseys etc... right now, i wash after every ride, on gentle cycle in cold water, then hang them to dry...

anyone have issues washing them in the washer, ie. does anyone wash by hand? thanks for the info, just wondering what people do

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Search

bikerboy337 said:
Just wondering what people do to prolong the life of bibs/shorts jerseys etc... right now, i wash after every ride, on gentle cycle in cold water, then hang them to dry... anyone have issues washing them in the washer, ie. does anyone wash by hand? thanks for the info, just wondering what people do
This has been covered repeatedly. Do a search. Short answer: some hand wash and hang to dry, some wash and dry with regular clothes. Most would say to avoid excess heat, at a minimum.

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
FWIW, machine wash usually on cold, hang to dry, but...

This is one of many boring topics on which I've done stories over the years. The professional consensus on bike stuff (as well as fleece, by the way, no matter what the care tags say) is to wash cold and hang to dry--the heat of a dryer supposedly is tough on the elastic or Lycra or whatever makes them stretchy. I refuse to spend any time at all handwashing anything, so I usually give them a short ride in the washer (I have enough to save it up until there's a small load) then dry on a clothesline in summer or the AIR ONLY setting of the dryer in winter.
In fact, though, just about everything I own has gotten tossed in with the jeans at one point or another, and it doesn't seem to do any harm.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Two classes of bibs.

Class 1 - favorites that I save for long rides. These get washed in warm water and hung to dry.

Class 2 - older or less comfortable shorts. These get laundered like any other piece of clothing, which in my case means hot water and hung to dry or dried in the dryer depending on the weather. Even with this cavalier treatment, some of the least favored bibs refuse to die!

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Cory said:
In fact, though, just about everything I own has gotten tossed in with the jeans at one point or another, and it doesn't seem to do any harm.
agree...when I first got my Assos F1-13s I hand washed them in Dreft, but now I just chuck em in with the rest of the cold water wash and hang to dry. Same as my cheapo shorts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is what I do.

Aarrgh! I boils me bib shorts in hot grease an' dry 'em in an incinerator! I likes 'em nice an' crispy! Aarrgh!

Sorry. I haven't posted anything in a while, and I'm getting tired of reading that reminder to post at the top of the screen...

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
don't have a washing machine. so my assos stuff is almost always hand washed. other stuff gets the machine.

when i do have access to a machine, then it's something like 1 machine wash (cold/gentle/with a light detergent - no softners/bleach/etc) for every 3-4 handwashes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.