Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Louis Garneau bibs say to "hand wash in cold water" and not use a dryer. My newest jersey also says to hand wash only, and don't even wring it out, just "hang upside down to dry" (???).

This is a bit of a pain. My wife refuses to get within 10 feet of my sweaty exercise clothing, and besides she does enough for me without having to hand-wash a bunch of my stuff. I've been doing this myself every time so far, but I'm wondering if it's really worth the trouble. With most of my running clothes -- similar tech fabric to cycling stuff -- I put it in with a regular washer load and then hang it up after it's been spun.

So as long as you keep it out of the dryer, is it really necessary to be this careful with bike clothing? Should I just start buying cheaper stuff so that I don't care if it doesn't last as long or look as good after washing? What do you folks do?

· RBR Veteran Opinionater
1,512 Posts
Your only mistake is thinking that your wife does enough for you. That's not the kind of thinking that made this country great, mister!

I'm with you, what a pita. I always check the laundry/dishwasher instructions before a purchase. Handwash only or other demanding stuff? Put it on the clearance table if you want. If it's cheap enough, I'll buy it and wash it with the rest of the pile. If it doesn't hold up - no great loss.

· Great White North
1,141 Posts
My washer has a setting for 'active wear' that has gentler spin cycles and such, so that delicate materials aren't harmed. I use this.

My dryer has a timed dry option, with no-heat or extra-low heat. I typically use extra-low heat and my clothes are holding up OK. A loose stitch here or there, but no chamois deterioration, fabric snags, etc.

Zip up all your zippers, flip them inside out, don't throw them in with velcro stuff (gloves) and you should be fine. Don't dry them more than you need to. If you don't have a extra-low heat setting, just wash them on hand wash or delicate, then hang them to dry. Should dry overnight.

Plum

· Registered
518 Posts
I've had goodluck washing gentle cycle and drying delicate cycle using no fabric softener, but that's what all my clothing says to do. I guess if you deviate from the instructions you do so at your peril. Next time read the label before you buy.

· Registered
202 Posts
Some wind jackets and vests I hang to dry but everything else goes in the washer and dryer.

TT

· Just Passing Time
46 Posts
wash bag

I've washed many pairs of LG bibs and gear in the machine. They'll wear out a bit faster, but your time is worth something too. One thing that works well is to put them in a wash bag for delicate clothing. It's just a mesh bag with a zipper that takes the beating rather than the gear. Will get the smell out, but probably less effective at removing stains.

· Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
Wash on gentle cycle in cold water; hang jerseys on plastic hangers or over rods of a drying rack. Hang shorts from those pants/skirt hangers that have two spring loaded pincher things (like big clamps) or dry on rack. No problems other than stains (like road dirt thrown up from a wet tire) which won't come out, period.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I wash mine in cold water in the machine on regular cycle. Then I throw'em in the dryer on low heat. I don't know if this will harm them or not. I've only been doing them like this for 40 years. Nothing bad has ever happened yet, but it's kinda early yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.