Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm honestly not trolling... Do you all ever wear a kit more than once before washing? I have far exceeded the budget allotted by the wife :) this year getting into cycling. I bought one LBS kit that is castelli 1/2 off because they're coming out with a new style, I bought one primalwear jersey and one pair of sugoi bibs (like these much better than the castelli's). I'm not going on tremendously long rides, and I don't really sweat much at all. Just curious if I'm gross for even considering it.

Also, someone told me that normal laundry detergent clogs the pores and it impacts the moisture wicking. True or False?

Thanks All. Hopefully this is in the right section.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks to you both. I learned, which was certainly the point. Didn't think about zipping jerseys before washing. Will do that plus cold water, dye free, and hang dry. Don't think I'll use mesh bags. I'll use the articles to convince the wife to let me get more kits :).

Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Hot water won't hurt cycling synthetics. Use borax or Oxiclean to eliminate odors and kill bacteria (never chlorine bleach). Washing generally puts more wear and tear on clothing the wearing it.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
I wear cycling clothes twice before throwing in the hamper.

Powdered detergent is more effective at cleaning clothes because the chemical engineers don't have to figure out how to suspend the cleaning agents together in liquid form without reacting in any way or deteriorating their effectiveness. I didn't make that up; that came from Consumer Reports.

Avoid using the dryer. Heat will slowly destroy the elasticity of lycra and other stretch materials on shorts and jerseys.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I don't find that washing equipment more frequently causes it to wear out sooner. I do find that the elastic in old jerseys that sit in the closet for several months without being worn becomes brittle, and then the jersey dies a sad death.

Here's my advice:
Take off your shorts as soon as you can, so you avoid saddle sores. Wash them before you wear them again, so you avoid saddle sores. Wash your jerseys every time you wear them, so they feel fresh and clean and nice, and to avoid rashes on your pits and back. Wash jerseys and shorts in the washing machine with cold water, and line dry them. Wash your gloves by hand in the sink when they get gross (something I really need to do soon, as in last month).

The only time I wear a kit twice before I wash it, is when I commute in to work. I have to wear the same kit on the commute home.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
. Just curious if I'm gross for even considering it.

Your instincts are correct; its gross.

If you are cost constrained, consider less expensive shorts that will be just fine on shorter rides and use you more expensive kits on longer rides

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,142 Posts
This question is best answered by considering how much you like or dislike Fromunda cheese.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I just use the sniff test.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I sweat like a pig, and generally use some form of anti-chafe cream, so yes, I always wash my kits after every ride.

I machine wash using very mild, unscented detergent on a very short cycle and always a second rinse... No bleach or harsh cleaners (always unscented).

I might toss them in the dryer on a very low temp for a few minutes, just to get the excess water out, but I generally hang them to dry.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I just use the sniff test.
I found out I was a salty sweater and the sniff test didn't really work for me. I have gone as far as 3 weeks/12 <20 mile rides wearing the same jersey and shorts (I wear basketball shorts when I ride, haven't jumped onto the padded shorts wagon yet) with no real odors. I also hang my stuff to dry whenever I finish riding.

When I do wash, I use powdered detergent with cold water on the gentle cycle and line dry.

·
Registered
396 Posts
pretty sure that will get you the Worst Hygiene award...

that's nasty stuff, bro.

Before I get chastised too much, I only went that long once. It was not crusty, or stained, or smelly... hell, if its wadded up in the hamper, it stinks more after 1 use.

Under normal circumstances, I wash my kit once a week.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
once, then wash. Especially with shorts, I feel the need for impeccable hygiene is important to avoid saddle sores.

Only time I go for days in the same clothes is ... multi-day packpacking treks (hiking). Only one kit to save weight.

BUt I picked up some hitchiking hippies a few years ago. Man they like to go for days and days in the same clothes I think

·
Registered
470 Posts
I basically have 3 kits (shorts, base layer, Jersey). Shorts and Base layer get used once. Depending on the time of year and ride type I might get a 2nd use out of a jersey. I do a wash every 3rd ride. Gloves and head gear always get thrown into every wash along with everything else. I use the gentle cycle and hang dry.

The first time I saw this question come up, I had just joined the forum. I was so confused. I thought, "I always thought kit meant clothes. But it must mean your bike."

cmn

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Although it's not a bad idea, you don't need to air dry cycling clothes. Tumble drying @ low won't hurt them.

I always put my bibs in a mesh bag to wash because the straps tend to get tangled with other clothes and stretch out.

I wash my gloves in the washer and tumble dry (low) with the rest of the stuff. I don't know why anyone would think they need to be hand washed. This goes for cotton crochet, full synthetic, and leather palms. I put them in another mesh bag so the velcro doesn't get stuck to the other stuff.

I wash bibs and socks after every ride, but the jerseys I might wear a couple three times if I hadn't sweated much during the ride and they don't stink.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,423 Posts
If it's green, it's time to clean. :D

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
So I'm honestly not trolling... Do you all ever wear a kit more than once before washing?
I wear the shorts for tomorrow's real ride and jersey when the temperature is right for a short 5-10 mile round trip commute where I don't sweat much. I sometimes re-use thermal jerseys when I wore a thermal base layer beneath them and didn't exert myself enough to sweat much. I wash outer layers like wind shells and tights without chamois only once a week (at most 6 riding days).

Otherwise no.

I have far exceeded the budget allotted by the wife :) this year getting into cycling.
After losing my middle-age spread I bought a bunch of previous year Louis Garneau custom program sizing samples and team left overs for $15-$35 all new with tags.

I wash everything in cold water on the delicate hang-dry cycle and hang-it because it's a PITA when things wear out after the manufacturers changed their product lines, like Pearl Izumi moving on from flat synthetic leather chamois and Louis Garneau making their jerseys an inch shorter.

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
Wash after every ride, bibs, jersey and sox... never mix with regular clothing, the wife won't stand for it... I sweat a lot and my kids always say I smell when I walk in the house (got love the kids). Everything is gentle cycle wash and low tumble dry, sometimes I hang dry.

About once every two weeks or if I things look bad I'll wash the gloves and arm sleeves too

1 - 20 of 41 Posts