Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you go for a ride and only have water in them do you wash them or just dump and dry them?

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
I usually put any unused water in the aquarium or on the giant potted plant in the living room and stick the bottle back on the bike to air-dry.

waste not, want not...

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
I'm like Oxtox in that I use a faucet mounted water filter to fill my bottles. If there's any water left at the end of the ride, I drink it. Otherwise I'm wasting the money I spent on the water filter!

More to the point, most of the time I just let my empty bottles air dry. But if I peek in them after a few weeks/months and see the black spots of mold forming, THEN I wash them. I suppose as an alternative you could put them in a sunny window; that might help keep them mold-free.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,425 Posts
I wash my bottles out at least once a year.

Reactions: Drew Eckhardt

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'll hand wash the nipple, rinse out the inside, air dry....if only water. Anything mixed, and I'll toss them in the dishwasher.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I put them in the dishwasher. I find the heat really helps to get them to leak properly.

One of the reasons I finally got rid of my reef tank is I had to replace over a gallon of evaporated water per day.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Ummm... I wash my water bottle and bottle top every time I use it? Like, it's 2016 and I have a dishwasher. I drink it empty and put it in the DW. Why would you ever NOT wash your water bottle? It takes nothing. Sometimes I have 3 bottles in the DW plus my travel mug for tea. I use a water bottle all day at work. I'll use a bottle for a recovery drink, a bottle (or two) on the bike...

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
because it isn't necessary...
Gross! Who cares if it's absolutely necessary, it's freaking gross. OK, maybe I'm finding out I'm a bit of a clean freak from this forum... I wash my, well, everything, after I use it. My HR monitor might go a few rides along with my Road ID. But, I can't see why you would be gross when it's so easy to be clean? Unessessary, as in its not likely to kill me, OK... But just plain nasty? Why be gross by choice?

·
Registered
360 Posts
My bottles go in the dishwasher after almost every ride. I am not concerned about my germs but more about road grit. If it means that I have to buy bottles more often I can live with that.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I'm like Oxtox in that I use a faucet mounted water filter to fill my bottles. If there's any water left at the end of the ride, I drink it. Otherwise I'm wasting the money I spent on the water filter!
Same here, I always drink the remaining water. Trying to stay hydrated and all.

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
Gross! Who cares if it's absolutely necessary, it's freaking gross. OK, maybe I'm finding out I'm a bit of a clean freak from this forum... I wash my, well, everything, after I use it. My HR monitor might go a few rides along with my Road ID. But, I can't see why you would be gross when it's so easy to be clean? Unessessary, as in its not likely to kill me, OK... But just plain nasty? Why be gross by choice?
you have issues, it's not even remotely gross.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Ummm... I wash my water bottle and bottle top every time I use it? Like, it's 2016 and I have a dishwasher. I drink it empty and put it in the DW. Why would you ever NOT wash your water bottle? It takes nothing. Sometimes I have 3 bottles in the DW plus my travel mug for tea. I use a water bottle all day at work. I'll use a bottle for a recovery drink, a bottle (or two) on the bike...
I bet you wash your bibs after every ride too. (This is a snarky comment - not sure what emoticon to use)

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I've got 8 in the dishwasher right now. Damn kids goob in them.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I normally bring a 20 oz Gatoraide refill as necessary with tap water enroute and just toss it when I get home. I do have a couple bottles, rinse a couple times then fill.

scott s..

·
Registered
20,727 Posts
We're talking about plain water here. What's gross about that?

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,409 Posts
We're talking about plain water here. What's gross about that?
It's more the lip slime that builds up after awhile. :wink5:

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,409 Posts

·
Poseur
116 Posts
For me, water bottles with only water in them just get rinsed out and put on the rack to dry. I do wash the lids with a little dish soap by hand, though.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts