Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son just graduated from BMT in the Air Force. I would like to buy him a nice watch as a graduation gift. Am looking at the Glycine Airman Traveler, mostly because the other Airman variants are more than I want to pay. I want to buy him a nice watch, under $1000. One with 24HR time, as well as 12 would be nice. More of a Tactical, or military theme, Not a super large face.

Thankfully, he did not go to the BX & buy the $300 Michael Kors like some guys in his flight did, nor the $600 pen, nor did he get married graduation weekend...

He is headed to tech school for Cyber Systems Operations, so he isn't rolling about in the dirt. I would like to buy it for Tech graduation.

I will likely purchase from an authorized internet seller for any watch I buy, as I live in a town with no real dealers, except Costco... So, price is a factor, I want the best buy I can get.

Looking for any watch ideas, as well as retailers.

Thanks guys for any suggestions.

John.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Costco is your best bet. They operate on the "grey market" for watches. That means that they charge a whole lot less than an AD for the exact same product. They are not an AD for any watch, that's what makes it grey.

If you buy from an AD, you will pay AD prices. And buying on the internet at all is a very shady deal. There's plenty of internet ADs that have sold fake watches.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
My first thought for an occasion watch is always Patek Philippe, but I'm not sure there are any for under a grand, and it might spend about as much time having maintenance in Switzerland as it would on your son's wrist.

Tiffany's HQ in NYC has an incredible, fairly-new floor devoted to watches. Great for browsing, but again, not sure what they'd have in that price range (avoid their own brand.)

How about Longines? I like this look, and the automatic movement is cool IMO.

Edit: This one's closer to the budget.

Another edit: Dammit now you've got me browsing watches. Another beauty, not sure of the price.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
Tissot makes a very nice, high quality watch in your price range

·
Registered
701 Posts
Big congrats to your son especially since he's in a great career field. Being a watch guy myself, I have much bias to the automatic models vs a quartz model watch. If he's the type who wears a watch daily, then an automatic (self-winding) Glycine Airman Vintage watch would suit him well. If he only wears a watch every once in awhile then a quartz watch would work better just like the Glycine Airman World Traveler watch you mentioned.

The BXs are a hit or miss. It all depends on the BX. Typically the larger overseas BX have a much better selection. As mentioned, Costco is always a good choice. You can always visit a watch forum i.e. TimeZone.com (sales corner) to see what the pieces go for in the grey market. They have many reputable sellers on there as well.

Again, I wish your son well in the Air Force. As a side note, I retired 3 years ago after serving 30 years as a Cyberspace Chief Enlisted Manager (3D100). It always amazed me on what my Cyberspace warriors are capable of doing.

·
Eddy 53:11
3,165 Posts
Just throwing it against the wall here . . . comes with SS bracelet as well. $700 I believe with GMT.
Classic style, military look, can be dressed-up with leather strap. If you want to go big, checkout my favorite, IWC.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Hamilton and Glycine are solid choices in that range. These 3 all have a pretty good track record making aviation/tool watches, so that would be my recommendation:

Damasko
Fortis
Tutima

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,285 Posts
I bought both my IWC and my Shinola watches at Feldmar Watches in L.A., and I relentlessly stare at the catalogs they send my way. The long and short of it -- the Glycines in the catalogs always catch my eye. Why the heck not? Get it.

BTW, I also have a very old Tissot I got in Switzerland in the mid-1960's. Because it was reasonably inexpensive (and yeah I was a kid at the time), I've always considered it a bargain brand, this despite the fact they were this year's Official Timepiece of the Tour Day France.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks config! He is very excited, looked great last weekend when we went to see him, and I am excited for his career choice. He almost got hozed by the recruiter IMO, as he got him to sign as Open General. I as well as my friend (Cpt in cyber) who has been helping him with advice along the way) hit the roof. The one time my son went in without one of us... He signed the papers! Thankfully, the career counselor at BMT was able to take care of him. Some of the other guys in his flight were not so lucky. Good thing he tested high.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Luminox from World of Watches TV would be my suggestion. Quality tactical watches under a grand, free shipping, discounts, and several payment options.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just throwing it against the wall here . . . comes with SS bracelet as well. $700 I believe with GMT.
Classic style, military look, can be dressed-up with leather strap. If you want to go big, checkout my favorite, IWC.
Like that one!

·
Proud luddite
7,236 Posts
Do young folks even wear watches any more? Neither my 24 yo son, 24 yo stepson or 31 yo stepson wear watches nor do their friends. I'd hate to spend a lot on a watch that won't be used. But your son might be different.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I'm partial to the Eco drive Citizen watches. I prefer watches with a bigger face. Analog is best, and it must have the date.

For the past few years, however, I've been wearing a Citizen scuba watch..... And I never take it off. Ever. I have tan lines under the watch band.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Do young folks even wear watches any more? Neither my 24 yo son, 24 yo stepson or 31 yo stepson wear watches nor do their friends. I'd hate to spend a lot on a watch that won't be used. But your son might be different.
I am right in the age range, and YES we do. Though it takes a certain guy. Regardless of the person, a watch is one of the few things that a man will conceivably have for a lifetime, and even pass on to future generations.

I like the recommendations of Glycene and Hamilton for your price range. You could also look at Oris and Longines. Definitely look into a mechanical/automatic watch - quartz watches really don't quite have the same 'heirloom' appeal. Sounds like a great gift!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts