Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been at my current employer for 10 years now and have really noticed some people aging. i think what has surprised me most is i can notice it. you know how you dont really notice when someone you see everyday gains weight? well, i have some coworkers i see everyday but i can tell. its kinda sad. this past weekend we went to a brewers game and everyone seemed...old. it was frustrating.

i have also seen some people slowly decline in health at work. it is kinda sad. you see a limp become a waddle become a cane.

im watching my parents go down the road, but i expect that. to see people i work with head that way is new for me.

then i looked in the mirror this morning. i have had a tough time exercising this summer, and it shows. im not huge, but i can tell i am not as fit as i should be. now im all depressed.

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
Funny how some age better than others too. I know a few who are 40 but look 20, and vice versa. How you treat yourself has a huge effect.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
weltyed said:
ive been at my current employer for 10 years now and have really noticed some people aging. i think what has surprised me most is i can notice it. you know how you dont really notice when someone you see everyday gains weight? well, i have some coworkers i see everyday but i can tell. its kinda sad. .

What I have observed among both people with whom I have worked and other people is that aging often does not progress on a steady line, but has plateaus and drops. Many times the drops are precipitated by an illness or an accident -- even just a minor fall.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
I have my ten year high school reunion next year.. I look around on facebook and randomly see people I graduated with and I'm amazed at how some people have aged. IMO the people that look the worst were the popular cool kids that partied too much. The geeks and dorks of high school look great and happy.. The rest just look like they eat fast food for most meals and watch television all day..

Makes me glad my elixir of youth has 2 wheels.

·
Fierce Pancake
3,817 Posts
I was reading about Tony Blair's book signing today and comparing how he looks now with the heady days of 1997 and before that, when he became Labour leader. Even with all the money he gets from big finance companies and 'consultancies' he can't fight off the ageing process.

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
MarkS said:
What I have observed among both people with whom I have worked and other people is that aging often does not progress on a steady line, but has plateaus and drops. Many times the drops are precipitated by an illness or an accident -- even just a minor fall.
This is my observation too. A bought with pneumonia, a broken leg, a car crash, these things can put a decade on a 55yo guy.

As for aging quickly in earlier decades - allot 5 years and 15 pounds per kid. Babies spend their first year feeding on the lifeforce of their parents.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
weltyed said:
ive been at my current employer for 10 years now and have really noticed some people aging. i think what has surprised me most is i can notice it. you know how you dont really notice when someone you see everyday gains weight? well, i have some coworkers i see everyday but i can tell. its kinda sad. this past weekend we went to a brewers game and everyone seemed...old. it was frustrating.

i have also seen some people slowly decline in health at work. it is kinda sad. you see a limp become a waddle become a cane.

im watching my parents go down the road, but i expect that. to see people i work with head that way is new for me.

then i looked in the mirror this morning. i have had a tough time exercising this summer, and it shows. im not huge, but i can tell i am not as fit as i should be. now im all depressed.
A good reason to make sure you don't join them, go out, run, swim, bike, whatever.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
GirchyGirchy said:
Look at George W. Bush before and after his Presidency.
Pretty much all of the presidents have aged considerably, even in one term. Do what swish says... :)

·
Grey Manrod
9,227 Posts
My hair is thinning.........and to be honest, it kind of depresses me. I'm not going to be a handsome bald man. Not that I'm handsome now, but baldness ain't gonna help.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
I think aging is also accelerated by life events.

Go through a major illness of a loved one and look at pictures of yourself before & after. Same with a death of a loved one.

I also notice a bigger difference between people that live healthy and exercise & those that don't.

Len

·
Registered
69,526 Posts
The process really accelerates at some point in your life. My hair is now past the thinning process. For the last year it has just been falling out.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Look at people that are generally happy then look at people that are generally miserable. The happy people seem to age less. Those that stress out all the time and worry about everything age faster imo.

·
No hero that's understood
6,100 Posts
My peer group at work is generally 20 years older than I am. I've worked with them for about six years. I haven't really noticed physical difference as much as behavioral.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts