Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.mysafetygear.com/97590-Boot-Shoe-Covers-15

It says they're 100% waterproof... which I like. Honestly I don't see the point of rain gear that's not waterproof. I mean how hard can it be? As for 'breathability', that's a rant for another thread. ANYWAY, these are cheap and brightly colored and waterproof... any reason not to get em?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Wow those are big. How much rain/bad weather riding do you do? What kind of riding? Touring or just riding? Personally when I go riding in the rain, its just to get another ride in and enjoy the outdoors, no matter how crappy it is. Its fun actually.

Although I use shoe covers, its more to keep the wind out. I know I'm going to get soaked no matter what equipment I have, including my shoes/socks/feet. I've ridden 6 hour days in the saddle in pretty wet conditions on a supported ride, and I don't think waterproof shoe covers would have made the day better, as my legs and backside were waterlogged.

I guess if you use them to commute, or maybe tour they maybe worth it. Thats just my experience though.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most of the riding I do is commuting. I live in Portland, OR so a good portion of that is in the rain. I'm fine w/ getting wet if the ride starts and ends at my house but sitting in class/work/wherever soaking wet is less fun. Especially riding home after you've cooled down. For me, it's not even the rain so much that bugs me, it's the water on the ground, I'm pretty sure. It seems like my fenders actively channel all the water straight into my shoes.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Are the cheapo Performance neoprene booties not good enough? They're less than twenty bucks, they're form fitting, and they have reflectors on them.

Those booties look like bags. If you're going that route, why not just put some reflective tape on your shoes and cover your shoes with those baggies you use to put fruits/veggies in at the grocery store?? Then tuck them into your pants ;) That's the way we used to do it in junior high when we obviously had very little cash to work with :)

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Neoprene isn't waterproof is it?? If it's the stuff I'm thinking of. Kinda black foam rubber type stuff? Iunno, maybe.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I want dry, not wet ;-)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
MWPDX said:
I want dry, not wet ;-)
Then go with the reflective tape and plastic bags!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
I saw on here once upon a time........

MWPDX said:
I want dry, not wet ;-)
Someone made shoe covers by buying the rubber overshoes, cutting out a cleat hole in the sole of the cover and their feet were both dry and warm. For someone who wants to be more cycle style conscious, the PI covers look adequate.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Well, they're only $3.49. If you try'em and don't like'em it's not like you've lost a lot of money.

·
Registered
34 Posts
They are really thin, .20 and .50 mm, if I read correctly. Price is worth a shot, if you can live with the big yellow bags around your feet. I had the performance neoprene booties and they worked ok.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Seriously dorky. I see those getting snagged on cranks and chainrings, and getting torn up in no time. I think clear plastic bags from the supermarket, held on with rubber bands, would look better and work as well.
I want dry, not wet ;-)
Neoprene is waterproof; it's a closed-cell foam. Wetsuits are so called because they do not seal tightly at all openings, so some water gets in and your skin gets wet. But the water quickly warms up to body temperature, and the suit insulates against heat loss and prevents any large-scale water exchange (if it fits tightly enough). Neoprene cycling booties keep your feet dry from the outside, but they seal in both sweat and heat, so they're really for cold weather. For warm rainy conditions most folks consider them too hot.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Sounds like a bunch of fashionista mamby pamby metro sexuals are chiming in here ("oooh, they're so dorky etc").

I commute in Burly shoe covers that are something kinda like that but they were made specifically for bike commuting. They are definately baggy, which is a plus if you commute in regular shoes or boots, but they have a zippered ankle and a velcro ankle straps to keep them out of your chain etc. They were $30 and are going on their 3rd season. I'm not sure if they still make them though and mine will likely need some sort of sole replacement in another year or two.

One concern I would have with the one's you're looking at would be that you may not be able to fit your rain paints over them since the top of the shoe cover is so bulky. You DO NOT want to tuck your rain pants inside your shoe covers.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dir-t said:
Sounds like a bunch of fashionista mamby pamby metro sexuals are chiming in here ("oooh, they're so dorky etc").

I commute in Burly shoe covers that are something kinda like that but they were made specifically for bike commuting. They are definately baggy, which is a plus if you commute in regular shoes or boots, but they have a zippered ankle and a velcro ankle straps to keep them out of your chain etc. They were $30 and are going on their 3rd season. I'm not sure if they still make them though and mine will likely need some sort of sole replacement in another year or two.

One concern I would have with the one's you're looking at would be that you may not be able to fit your rain paints over them since the top of the shoe cover is so bulky. You DO NOT want to tuck your rain pants inside your shoe covers.
Do you remember what yours are called/where they sell them?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
xtrsmith said:
man MWPDX, how did you find these? what are you searching for anyway?
I just searched for "waterproof shoe covers".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.