Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All: I have a daily shopper/commuter bike that I lock up outside a lot. I recently replaced my standard panniers with removeable fold-flat panniers, which when folded flat don't have room for my various tools, tubes, pump etc.

Just curious if anyone's ever seen an accessory kit or storage case that bolts directly to water-bottle bosses?

I'm familiar with the Cage Rocket and other bottle-shaped cases that slide into an existing water bottle cage, but I'm looking for something that's more secure, that might bolt directly into the bosses bypassing the cage?

I'm interested mainly for theft-deterrency more than anything else.

Alternatively, i was looking for a very low-profile (ideally hardshell) rack-top trunk, mainly just to hold my lock, pump and spare tube. Most rack trunks are too large for my needs, or don't collapse down as I'd like.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
I'm not familiar with anything, but could this be a DIY project?

Picture one of the tool bottle things, drill a couple of holes, and you are pretty much done. Maybe a backer plate out of plastic to keep it from pulling through. You might need a couple of holes in the opposite side to run a hex wrench through; those could be closed with a grommet from the hardware store or a bit of electrical tape.

Depends on how fancy you care to be.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Danl1...exactly what I was thinking...maybe it could be a potential product. The other thing I was thinking of was a wedge-shaped, hard-shelled compartment to mount under the rack at the back, with a tail-light mount...time for 3D printer <g>

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Locking pistol box bolted to a rack?
Hi Rodar: That's something I was thinking about too...do you have any links for that?

I was looking for some lightweight Al locking boxes, but haven't been able to find any in the right size/shape. Seems like one of those small safe-deposit boxes would be ideal, but I haven't found any online either.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The one I`ve had for years is what came to my mind when I read your post. It looks like it isn`t made any more, but a few hits came up offering them for ~30 USD up to way too much.
Gun Guard/Doskocil XLT 12 Two Pistol Cases
Sorry, I haven`t looked at any others. Google search on "small pistol case" didn`t help you out? Maybe a plastic tool box?
Thanks Rodar...I've been searching for the right size online...there are lots of "project boxes" on ebay which are the same cases used for external hard drives (I have a few lying around in fact), and while they're the right length and width, they're a little too shallow to hold bulkier stuff like a spare tube. A plastic box might work too...if I come up with anything I'll update the thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.