Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 2008 Orbea opal. I have the standard 2 water bottles. I was wondering if any one uses a third some how. I have a Tri background. This is my 1st road bike.

So if you go on a ride with possible there might be no h2o stops. where would you put a third bottle?

I have seen a standard cage zip tied under the saddle, then the bag strapped to that. :idea:

--------------------------------

Also, I have a single cage bolt under my top tube. Whys that?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Use 24 oz bottles abd if you need a third, carry it in the jersey pocket and drink it first, then you can recycle it properly.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Coming from a Tri background, why not get the cages that mount behind the saddle. That will give you room for two more.

Great looking ride. If it were mine, I would go for carbon color cages instead of blue. (Sorry, that just immediately struck me)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did the 3rd in the pocket. It was ok. But I guess I'll keep with that.

Any idea on the third bolt under the top tube?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Blue CheeseHead said:
Coming from a Tri background, why not get the cages that mount behind the saddle. That will give you room for two more.

Great looking ride. If it were mine, I would go for carbon color cages instead of blue. (Sorry, that just immediately struck me)
I just sold my X-Lab Saddle Wing a month ago. I knew I should have saved it. :mad2:

I like the blue accent cages. Im looking to put blue hoods on too. :thumbsup:

·
The Cube
1,108 Posts
i also like the blue cages to help the little bit of blue on the frame. hoods would be good too. but really blue and black don't work well together, you're really just trying to make up for a bad idea frame scheme. for the 3rd bottle, I also just use the jersey.

·
Registered
152 Posts
jersey pocket :)

The middle jersey pocket is the place for he third bottle.

The bolt under the top tube is for a number plate. I have a 7-11 Merckx that has a tab in the same position.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've been considering the third bottle in the pocket idea. It seems like it would weigh you down. I have one of those things that allows you to put two more bottles on the back behind the saddle, but I'm not sure how it would work with my saddle bag. I might give it a try tomorrow.

·
The Cube
1,108 Posts
bmb032 said:
I've been considering the third bottle in the pocket idea. It seems like it would weigh you down. I have one of those things that allows you to put two more bottles on the back behind the saddle, but I'm not sure how it would work with my saddle bag. I might give it a try tomorrow.
please don't take this as sarcasm. the 3rd bottle weighs the total system down the same whether it is on your low back, on your bike frame, or spinning around attached to a spoke of your wheel. the difference would be how it affects the system, overall. obviously, spinning on the wheel would totally hurt handling and accel, on the back hurts turning due to higher elevated mass, super low and central on the fram would be best if aero enough, but at some point it just becomes a matter of what works best for you. the bottle behind seat makes a lot of sense as it keeps that weight lower, but on your back, its probably out of the air better enough to make up the difference. I agree that the seat bag makes a problem.

no matter what, a 3rd bottle is more weight and air blocking to deal with. so is a 4th and a 5th.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Solutions:
1. Get a team car.

2. 500mL bottle in jersey pocket

3. Don't go on rides where there won't be any place to stop and refill/buy more water.

1 is the coolest but no feasible for most of us. 2 is rather inconvenient if you wear very form fitting jerseys. 3 makes the most sense.

·
Registered
150 Posts
kmunny19 said:
please don't take this as sarcasm. the 3rd bottle weighs the total system down the same whether it is on your low back, on your bike frame, or spinning around attached to a spoke of your wheel. the difference would be how it affects the system, overall. obviously, spinning on the wheel would totally hurt handling and accel, on the back hurts turning due to higher elevated mass, super low and central on the fram would be best if aero enough, but at some point it just becomes a matter of what works best for you. the bottle behind seat makes a lot of sense as it keeps that weight lower, but on your back, its probably out of the air better enough to make up the difference. I agree that the seat bag makes a problem.

no matter what, a 3rd bottle is more weight and air blocking to deal with. so is a 4th and a 5th.
Oops, I didn't really use the right words to say what I meant. I didn't mean so much weighing you down in the sense of adding weight to the whole system; I meant that it seems like it would pull your jersey down and maybe back a little, thus pulling it against your chest and getting annoying. Or is okay for those of you who do it?

·
BT, wishing you ride safe
333 Posts
Personally I would avoid the "under the seat" bottle "launchers" I was on the Miami MS 150 this spring in a peleton of about 20 riders. As we crossed the first set of RR tracks at least 8 bottles flew out of those thing, almost causing a huge pile up.

Here is another option. Camel Back make a "road" style meant to fit under your jersey. Several of the riders in the TT stage of the TDF used them. Seems like it might be a viable option.
http://www.cleansnipe.com/cheap-bike-sale/camelbak-racebak-hydration-jersey-mens.htm
And another under the jersey choice.

http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/Nathan-Stealth-15-Hydration-Pack-15L/NAT0020M.html

A regular Camel Back is also an option, but far to FRED for most roadies.

·
Poseur
1,408 Posts
Nice looking bike. I've never been on a ride where I couldn't refill a bottle if I really needed to do it. I carry two 24 ounce bottles and and that's good for 2-3 hours depending on air temperature. I even asked someone once if I could use their hose to refill my bottles when I screwed up and went too far. They were happy to oblige.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I put my other double water bottle holder on the back and it actually works pretty well. The saddle bag sort of goes between the two bottles. It worked pretty well on my forty mile ride today. I love riding and not having to stop! This will be perfect for the Hotter'n Hell in two weeks. Here's a pic:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice. So
A. I'm not he only one who uses a Tri saddle on a road bike. :thumbsup:
B. The only thing I would change is, I'd put the water bottles on top of the bag. Unless that wasn't possible.

Nice distance set up.

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
I can't believe how much people are willing to cram on their frames and in their jersey pockets just to avoid wearing a backpack.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I do wear a pack pack when I go to a friends or to a swim, run, workout.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts