RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
al heats up superfast, it's metallic
it would bake your water, i'd think.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I assume you are refering to the Zefal insulated

aluminum water bottles. They are good at keeping your drink cold. If there is a problem with them, it is that they can be noisy in the bottle cage when the road gets rough. However,it sure is nice to have ice in your water bottle after almost two hours in 90 degree heat. :D

·
Registered
277 Posts
plastic water bottles work fine - just ask the 99.9999% of the riders who use them.

If you freeze them solid, they'll stay cool for maybe 90 min tops on hot days. Other than that, "buck up or get the F in the truck" (cowboy quote - not mine at all....) Drinking hot water sucks, but sometimes there ain't no other options.... (unless you ride w/ a small cooler)

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
estone2 said:
al heats up superfast, it's metallic
it would bake your water, i'd think.
At what setting do you properly bake water? Can a person broil it or flambe it instead?

·
Soul Mining
382 Posts
alienator said:
At what setting do you properly bake water? Can a person broil it or flambe it instead?

Pour it in a shallow, nonstick pan and bake in an oven preheated to 325F, gas mark 3, for 45 minutes.

·
Registered
255 Posts
unsqueezable

I have an alu one and the one annoying thing with it is that you can't squeeze the water into your mouth. IMO if you want water in a hurry and you're already out of breath, having to suck out the water is a pain.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I've heard rumors that aluminum works very well as a material for rims. Handlebars too.

·
Registered
146 Posts
dehydrated water

The The said:
Pour it in a shallow, nonstick pan and bake in an oven preheated to 325F, gas mark 3, for 45 minutes.
great now I will be able to take more with me when I ride and i won't ever have to worry about the weight

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Just be sure that you don't burn it! :)
Today I ran some hot water through dried orange pekoe and black tea leaves, then put it on ice. First, I was worried that I HAD burnt the water, 'cuz it turned all brown and stuff.....but it ended up tasting ok.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I drill out my water bottles to make them lighter. Definitely saves weight.

·
Registered
107 Posts
mrcrabbiepattie said:
Are the aluminum bottles any good? or should i just get the polar ones?
I know this isn't what you asked, but I really like the camelback (or other brand) systems. I find I take sips in small bursts whenever I feel like very quickly. Plus it doesn't feel as unstable to me as reaching down for the water bottle (which I tend to take big gulps with).

I keep the empty camelback bladder in the freezer so that bacteria are killed. I usually use 50% Gateraid, 50% water. On a hot day a cold camelback feels greeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaat :)

Downsides? More expensive, takes longer to get ready for a ride. You may not like anything on your back.
Upsides: Can hold a LOT of water if you want to buy a big one, quick access, usually additional pockets, cools your back on a hot day.

Probably others, but that's all I could think of

My $0.02

linuxted

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
linuxted said:
I know this isn't what you asked, but I really like the camelback (or other brand) systems. I find I take sips in small bursts whenever I feel like very quickly. Plus it doesn't feel as unstable to me as reaching down for the water bottle (which I tend to take big gulps with).

I keep the empty camelback bladder in the freezer so that bacteria are killed. I usually use 50% Gateraid, 50% water. On a hot day a cold camelback feels greeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaat :)

Downsides? More expensive, takes longer to get ready for a ride. You may not like anything on your back.
Upsides: Can hold a LOT of water if you want to buy a big one, quick access, usually additional pockets, cools your back on a hot day.

Probably others, but that's all I could think of

My $0.02

linuxted
since when did freezing something kill the bacteria?

·
Registered
107 Posts
den bakker said:
since when did freezing something kill the bacteria?

Good point. I had to look it up on the web. You're right

·
Registered
170 Posts
You could even replace the rubber tip with carbon fiber for those die hard weight weenies

·
Registered
298 Posts
mrcrabbiepattie said:
Are the aluminum bottles any good? or should i just get the polar ones?

Polar ones work great. Pre-Freeze them at a slight incline and enjoy your very nice cold water during those hot summer days. I think a 3/4 filled/frozen bottle will stay very cold (even frozen) for a least one hour, if not two. Plus side : squeezable.

-Coldrider

1 - 20 of 22 Posts