Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Water in steel frame...course of action???

1K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Seamus 
#1 ·
I got a Milwaukee about two weeks ago and haven't yet done the Weigle framesaver. I got all antsy in my pantsy to get it on the road, and have been riding it a bunch in the dry weather. Fast forward to this weekend...

I was on the eastern shore of VA (bayside), rode a bunch, got caught in the rain once. When I was taking the seatpost out of the frame to put it in the car, water came out when I turned it over. Yikes!!! So now I realize there's water in it, and I need to know what to do next.

Currently, I've removed the BB, and dried out the shell. It's in a workstand in my de-humidified basement. The BB shell of the frame has no drainhole...I'm assuming this should be done soon. Also, what, if anything, can I do about the trace amounts of moisture that are most likely still in the frame? Just let it dry out over the next few days? I intend on getting some framesaver tomorrow at the LBS, but want to make sure I'm not jumping the gun on putting it in before it's mostly dry.

Thanks a bunch.

Brooks K.

#2 ·
It sounds like you have a good plan going. You could give it a day each in different positions, Upside down, straight up and down & so on. That should move any traped water around so it can dry. Then hit it with the frame saver.

#3 ·
Hair dryer

In addition to your plan, you could speed things up by working things over with a hair dryer, blowing hot air down the tubes you can reach and applying a little heat from the outside. Just don't get crazy and hold the dryer right on the paint for any duration of time.

#6 ·
kpcw said:
I say you are now bound to drain the water into a shot glass and shoot it down with some salt and a slice of lemon :rolleyes:

You'll be fine. Drill a small hole in the BB or have a the LBS do it for you. I have never used Frame Saver, I am strongly considering it for this p*rnogrpahic frame below (note, my BB hole is now filled with a bolt that is holding in the cable guide...I need to address mine as well...)
I take the bolt out of the cable guide to drain the water. The cable tension holds the guide in place so the bolt is easy to put back. That being said, I am sending my PW bb back for an overhaul, but the water got in through the outboard seals. I ride a cheap (Soma) steel frame on my daily commute. I have taken a peek into the down and seat tubes using an inspection mirror in the bb shell and don't see any rust. I greased up the seat post and put RTV sealant in the vent holes on the seat and chain stays. If it rusts out, I am only out $300. Wouldn't break my heart, I would just get another one. My Merckx MX Leader is weigled and chrome plated under the paint.

#7 ·
Ruined!

Sorry to say it is ruined. The water of Virginia is acidic and has probably already ruined your frame beyond repair. If you'd like to drop off the remains to me I'll be glad to 'dispose' of them;-)

I'm thinking about a Milwuakee right now, need to get the wife to agree though....

#8 ·
kpcw said:
I say you are now bound to drain the water into a shot glass and shoot it down with some salt and a slice of lemon :rolleyes:

You'll be fine. Drill a small hole in the BB or have a the LBS do it for you. I have never used Frame Saver, I am strongly considering it for this p*rnogrpahic frame below (note, my BB hole is now filled with a bolt that is holding in the cable guide...I need to address mine as well...)
Dang, nice Merckx. My old steel Merckx has huge cutouts in the bb shell.

#9 ·
A useful technique is to remove the seatpost and hang the bike by the front wheel for storage. That lets any liquid water run out of the seat tube. It is unlikely there's water in the other tubes, but they'll dry out just fine. I do this everytime after a good washing or rainy ride and have never had a problem. You can also try to tape around the seat tube clamp which is where most of the water gets in, but I don't even bother with that anymore.

#10 ·
percy said:
A useful technique is to remove the seatpost and hang the bike by the front wheel for storage. That lets any liquid water run out of the seat tube. It is unlikely there's water in the other tubes, but they'll dry out just fine. I do this everytime after a good washing or rainy ride and have never had a problem. You can also try to tape around the seat tube clamp which is where most of the water gets in, but I don't even bother with that anymore.
When you do that, what do you do about the moisture that runs from the BB shell into the ends of the chain stays and up the down tube to the headset. Or do you magically stop that as you turn the bike over? If so, what manner do you rotate the bike to avoid that?
Enquiring minds want to know.
Thanks for helping an old guy out!

#11 ·
Never had that problem. My seat stays are sealed on the inside of the weld. Any water that doesn't drain out would evaporate pretty quickly. I've never seen more than a teaspoon even after the harshest conditions. I have thin wall steel so I'm pretty diligent, and also do the framsaver thing.

#12 ·
Mayday said:
Please post some pictures and a review of the Milwaukee. I really like the looks of those frames but haven't heard much about them.
I posted a few pics and a minor review here:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=56917

I put a lot of miles on it this past weekend, and all I can say is I'm totally in love with it. The only drawback is I need some wider tires on it. The 23c's and the pavement of Virginia's eastern shore weren't always in agreement with my back after a few hours. It doesn't help that I MAYBE had about 15' of elevation change during any of my rides, so I didn't do a lot of stretching out on climbs and such to keep myself limber.

I give it two thumbs way up.

Brooks K.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.