Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a group ride last week that got stuck riding through what felt like a monsoon N of Atlanta, GA last week, I noticed the next day that my wheels had water sloshing around in them. On a side note.. it was a lot of fun riding in the rain! Felt like a little kid :)

1. Is that supposed to happen? that the wheels get water in them?
2. Based on the fact they got water in them, would it stand to reason that I lose a lot of air pressure, even over the course of a 26 mile ride?
3. I have to pump up my tires every time I ride, even its just the next day. The pressure is usually at 60-80 psi 2 days after pumping them up to 120psi.

Thanks,

Craig

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ewitz said:
the water is in the rim not the tube, how would that affect the pressure?
Thank you for pointing out my idiocy :p
However, my question still stands
3. I have to pump up my tires every time I ride, even its just the next day. The pressure is usually at 60-80 psi 2 days after pumping them up to 120psi.

I also have another question: Is it normal to get water in the rims after a ride? This was very heavy rain for over half and hour with lots of puddles.

Thanks,

Craig

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Getting water in the rims is pretty common. I even drill little holes at the side into the bottom of the rim cavity so it can drain out.

Also, if you are losing that much pressure, then you are using latex tubes, or you have a leak.

·
Registered
58 Posts
rruff said:
Getting water in the rims is pretty common. I even drill little holes at the side into the bottom of the rim cavity so it can drain out.

Also, if you are losing that much pressure, then you are using latex tubes, or you have a leak.
Hi , how big a hole do you drill? Anything else i can do?

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
csh8428 said:
I have to pump up my tires every time I ride, even its just the next day. The pressure is usually at 60-80 psi 2 days after pumping them up to 120psi.
How do you know you lost half of your pressure in two days? Tapping the valve core once or twice and then attaching the pump chuck can blow half of the existing pressure out right there. Point being, there might not be anything wrong with your tubes unless they feel noticeably soft to your thumb or you took a reading with a no-air loss gauge.

Second the hole in the rim idea. One hole into the closed section of the rim is enough, 3 mm diameter max.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.