Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,776 Posts
As a practical matter, there's a limit to how fast your gut can absorb water. The right amount of sugars and salts in the water you drink can optimize the rate, but in the conditions you describe it's easy for the loss through sweating, respiration and urine production to exceed the maximum absorption rate. You will fall behind. It obviously helps to be pre-hydrated as well as possible, but you'll dry up some during the activity. You just have to make it up later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JCavilia said:
As a practical matter, there's a limit to how fast your gut can absorb water. The right amount of sugars and salts in the water you drink can optimize the rate, but in the conditions you describe it's easy for the loss through sweating, respiration and urine production to exceed the maximum absorption rate. You will fall behind. It obviously helps to be pre-hydrated as well as possible, but you'll dry up some during the activity. You just have to make it up later.

I like to make it up with beer, but feel that could be a bit counterproductive to my training goals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,270 Posts
LyncStar said:
On about a two hour ride, in mid-90s, with full sun, I tend to lose about 8 lbs of water. I can only stomach consuming about 80oz (5lbs). Is it really necessary to try and replace one for one?
As you've discovered, replacing lost weight ounce-for-ounce during exercise can bring on extreme discomfort. If continued over a long period of time, it can even be fatal (hyponatraemia), even if the fluids include electrolytes. A certain amount of weight loss during physical activity is not evidence of underhydration. In fact, keeping constant weight during vigorous exercise is almost certain evidence of over-hydration.

Here is some food for thought:
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-302--8785-0,00.html
 

·
waterproof*
Joined
·
41,745 Posts
the rule of thumb is you will get noticeable / significant performance loss after losing 3% of your "properly hydrated" weight. So if you weigh 200, properly hydrated, and lose 6 pounds, it's hurting your performance.

I know this to be true b/c I was training in 90+ heat (closer too 100 many times) while going from 230 to 185 over several months. I always weighed before and after, and rarely hit 8 lbs, but 5-6 was frequent for me. I could feel it when I got dehydrated and as I got smarter decided to end the ride instead of pushing on.

Another tip: take at least one plain water bottle and squirt most/all of it on your head, ears, face and arms. Cooling helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,776 Posts
LyncStar said:
I like to make it up with beer, but feel that could be a bit counterproductive to my training goals.
Guinness is good for you (at least, that's what their ads have said for a hundred years).
 

·
No Crybabies
Joined
·
11,692 Posts
LyncStar said:
On about a two hour ride, in mid-90s, with full sun, I tend to lose about 8 lbs of water. I can only stomach consuming about 80oz (5lbs). Is it really necessary to try and replace one for one?
Is some of the weight loss urination after you first weighed?

Sounds like a lot of weight loss for only 2 hours.

When it's very hot, and believe me, I know hot, riding here in central California where it can frequently be 110 degrees, one thing you may have to do is just slow down. It also helps to be well hydrated before you start. When I'm going to commute home 13 miles when it's over 105 degrees, I try to drink 2 full bottles in the hours before riding. That helps a lot. Pouring water (make sure it's not Gatorade!) over your head and back helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,831 Posts
Alternative cooling

LyncStar said:
On about a two hour ride, in mid-90s, with full sun, I tend to lose about 8 lbs of water. I can only stomach consuming about 80oz (5lbs). Is it really necessary to try and replace one for one?
In weather like that, with your sweat rate, you can't replace the fluids. Instead, pour the fluids over yourself so that your body doesn't need to sweat as much. This can be a very effective way to prevent deydration.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top