Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine gave me a cool pair of water proof shoe covers that he got from Bobby Julich. These were basically made of rubber and worked great for all those rainy days on the bike. However, after getting in an accident they are now swiss cheese. All the booties I see for sale are lycra or winter neoprene. I need something lightweight and waterproof.

Anyone know where I can pick up a pair?

·
Banned
7,191 Posts
If you want light, waterproof and cheep, you can't beat breadbags in your shoes...

Not the most stylish option, though.:D

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I like to have my shoe covers in my bag all the time, because it could rain at any time. There are neoprene "toe covers," which aren't waterproof. Using that design I made my own set of toe covers out of waterproof coated nylon. I made them larger than the traditional neoprene version. They work well and are compact enough to reside in my commute bag.

·
Registered
24 Posts
just out of curosity, how do you get a waterproof shoe cover with a zipper on it, and at least 2 big openings (one for your foot and one for your cleat).

I can understand waterproof material but water will get in somehow unless you are using the breadbag.

TIA

·
Registered
93 Posts
oops said:
just out of curosity, how do you get a waterproof shoe cover with a zipper on it, and at least 2 big openings (one for your foot and one for your cleat).

I can understand waterproof material but water will get in somehow unless you are using the breadbag.

TIA
The zipper's on the back, generally most people ride forwards so that's not much of a concern. The cleat hole is on the bottom, most rain I've seen falls down not up.

That leaves the seam around your leg at the top, and if you want to worry about that, you just put on some rain pants and pull them down over.

But frankly, at least in a Vancouver climate, waterproof is defined as "it keeps enough water out that everything will be dry for the next ride". Coming home bone dry after a real downpour is next to impossible.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
I find neoprene waterproof enough--- and I swear by them when it rains every day here in the winter. I have tried waterproof socks (a BAD idea). My opinion is the waterproof layer should be as far away from the skin as possible so the foot can breathe a bit. In a heavy rain, a bit of water may work its way in through the cleat or the zipper--- but the neoprene is thick and helps keep things warm. I use Shimanos--- work well enough.

PdxMark said:
I like to have my shoe covers in my bag all the time, because it could rain at any time. There are neoprene "toe covers," which aren't waterproof. Using that design I made my own set of toe covers out of waterproof coated nylon. I made them larger than the traditional neoprene version. They work well and are compact enough to reside in my commute bag.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.