Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a few searches and didn't find a single thread dedicated to pictures of these beautiful bikes. Here is a starter pic from me....

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Careful, with legs like that your second pic could end up the Podium Girls forum.... :D

Congrats on the beautiful frame.... the bikes aren't bad either.:p

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CM, that is a stellar build. I really like the chrome lugged BB shell and the pin stripes with blocking. Really nice job.

·
Registered
90 Posts
handsomerob said:
CM, that is a stellar build. I really like the chrome lugged BB shell and the pin stripes with blocking. Really nice job.
Thanks. I spent a lot of time contemplating what color scheme and appointments I wanted. I really like it, and if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing, except that I would get it made by someone other than Waterford.

The lugs aren't chrome, they're polished stainless steel. The seat and BB lugs aren't usually polished - I'm glad I opted to have them done. The pictures don't show it very well, but the paint is metallic and quite sparkly. The pinstriping really adds a touch of class, too. It is truly a piece of art and a fantastic ride; I just wish the whole buying experience hadn't been such a nightmare. (YMMV)

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
-CM- said:
Thanks. I spent a lot of time contemplating what color scheme and appointments I wanted. I really like it, and if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing, except that I would get it made by someone other than Waterford.

The lugs aren't chrome, they're polished stainless steel. The seat and BB lugs aren't usually polished - I'm glad I opted to have them done. The pictures don't show it very well, but the paint is metallic and quite sparkly. The pinstriping really adds a touch of class, too. It is truly a piece of art and a fantastic ride; I just wish the whole buying experience hadn't been such a nightmare. (YMMV)
As far as the polished stainless steel lugs, they really add to the class. You said that you had a BAD buying experience??? I have called them a few times and have got unbelievably good service and to date haven't even bought anything from them. I haven't heard about anyone else having any issues other than it taking a little longer than estimated. In the end, did they correct the problems you had?

·
Registered
90 Posts
handsomerob said:
As far as the polished stainless steel lugs, they really add to the class. You said that you had a BAD buying experience??? I have called them a few times and have got unbelievably good service and to date haven't even bought anything from them. I haven't heard about anyone else having any issues other than it taking a little longer than estimated. In the end, did they correct the problems you had?
You experience mimics mine as far as pre-order service goes. But after the order, my ordeal became quite a saga. After I ordered I was told it would take 6 weeks. I called at 4 weeks to see if it was on schedule, only to learn that the order hadn't actually been initiated. I was told it would be expidited, and that I'd get it about the same time as originally estimated. Well, deadline after deadline was missed, with me having to contact them every time. I was extremely patient, usually contacting them only after their own estimated delivery dates passed.

Finally they shipped it, and you wouldn't believe the botched pinstripping job they did. It literally looked like a child had painted it. Terrible, and certainly not the level of quality you'd expect on a $3800 frameset. So I sent it back. From then on, everyone who had dealt with me previously completely ignored my communications, and I had to deal with the warranty department and the dealer. And we started the whole process over of me having to contact them after their own time estimates had passed to see where my bike was. Incredibly awful customer service.

Finally I got the frameset and it looked fine. But while I was assembling it, I noticed a chip in the fork. I hadn't noticed this when inspecting it at the store, so I just accepted it. But as it turns out, the paint is incredibly fragile. The area around the gear cluster is quite chipped away, the top tube has a couple of gouges in it where it fell, and there are various other chips. I've owned several painted bikes, and NONE have every chipped like this Waterford. I'm going to have to get it repainted probably withing a couple of years I could send it back and demand that it be fixed under warranty, but my initial experience with Waterford has left such a bad impression with me that I just don't want to deal with them again for any reason, even if it costs me more money.

I've given the super-abbreviated version of my experience here. In the end, it took 5 months to get my frameset. I would not have bothered me one bit to have waited that long if that was the original estimate, but the fact that they kept missing their own estimates and not communicating the status to me was very frustrating. And they were unapologetic for sending the original botched job, and did nothing to make up for it.

If you deal with them, be extremely assertive. And whatever you do, don't pay the entire balance up front. Pay the absolute minumum. I paid the whole amount and therefore didn't have any leverage.

>In the end, did they correct the problems you had.

Let me just say that they did eventually deliver what I had ordered. However, it was the worst buying experience of my life, and I would not recommend them to anyone.

It's too bad, too, because it is a fantastic bike. If the paint wasn't a constant reminder, I probably could forget all the negative aspects.

·
Registered
269 Posts
My Waterford

Two years ago I had this made up. It's my second Wateford and I can't say enough good things about them. The lugs are stainless steel and the paint is a very dark (almost black) metallic charcoal that was done for the 50th anniversary Paramounts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
-CM- said:
You experience mimics mine as far as pre-order service goes. But after the order, my ordeal became quite a saga. <snip>
Wow, sorry to hear about the delays and screw-ups. You aren't alone, I came close to canceling the whole thing after I waited six months (yeah, originally told six weeks, order lost or something...sounds like the same story) and the paint job on the fork was botched. Sent the fork back, should have been a 2-week turnaround but turned into 6 weeks. In the end everything was right and I *love* the bike but the buying experience left a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I have mine partially built. I think I am going to go with the white cork wrap..... I have a problem though. Where in the hell do I get a 28.6mm clamp adapter? I found one on eBay but it is faux carbon and I don't have any carbon on the bike so that is definitely out. I need either an adapter or a Veloce clamp derailleur in a 28.6mm, does anyone make these anymore.... any help??

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
handsomerob said:
I have mine partially built. I think I am going to go with the white cork wrap..... I have a problem though. Where in the hell do I get a 28.6mm clamp adapter? I found one on eBay but it is faux carbon and I don't have any carbon on the bike so that is definitely out. I need either an adapter or a Veloce clamp derailleur in a 28.6mm, does anyone make these anymore.... any help??
Something like this?

http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cg...Adapter&tc=&item_id=LS-6026PD&id=989153327439

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,433 Posts
2004 Gunnar Roadie (Goldrush over charcoal silver)
No complete photos, but here are bits and pieces.
DA7700 group
Flite saddle
Easton EA70 post
Ritchey WCS stem and Pro bar

·
Slow but not so steady
598 Posts
What Alpha Q fork is that? Nice redo. A nice advantage to steel is that every 4-5 years you can get a "new" ride just by painting it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thanks for the compliments. The fork is a True Temper Alpha Q carbon fork (1”), threadless titanium steerer tube, 350 mm, 37 mm rake. I agree about the ability to get a "new" bike by repainting. I bought that frame in 1998 as my first road bike. Kept it for 4 or 5 years before i had it repainted by Waterford. They did a great job with the refinishing. About the fork, my new Waterford has their steel fork and although it's heavier than carbon it rides just as smoothly.

1 - 20 of 200 Posts