Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ridden a lugged Waterford and a Gunnar enough to discern the difference between these two steel frames by the same factory?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Don't think there is a lugged frame available through Gunnar. Basically the same builder, but Gunnar is more of their off-the-shelf line and Waterford is their custom line. Gunnars are available with custom geometry for an upcharge. Basically it is a matter of what you feel like or need to pay for.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
If stock fit and TIG welding are fine, get the Gunnar. (I've had three.)

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
I'm happy with my Gunnar. I have used it for a commuter for the last three years so it sees all kinds of weather and the paint has really held up well. With the exception of a few chips that are my fault, it would look new if I cleaned it up. Gunnars come with Waterford stainless dropouts and a Waterford fork. The cost savings between Waterford and Gunnar is tig welding, stock sizing, and fewer paint choices.

·
Slow but not so steady
598 Posts
It comes down to how much you want to spend. I have owned three Gunnars and liked them all. If I had the money though, I would consider a lugged Waterford because I like lugs. Steel is steel. 853 vs 631 vs True Temper. In the same fit/geometry, you could not tell the difference. I don't see how lugs or TIG would change the characteristics of the ride.

·
Slow but not so steady
598 Posts
Me like lugs(and your lugs too). I have $543 saved towards my future lugged frame. I haven't started saving for the fork though so its going to be a few more years.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
george kraushaar said:
Has anyone ridden a lugged Waterford and a Gunnar enough to discern the difference between these two steel frames by the same factory?
To give you a straight answer, yes I have ridden 10's of thousands of miles on both Gunnars and Waterfords.

The short answer is I no longer own Gunnars.

The medium answer is that I prefer steel forks and run them on all my bikes. I always thought the stock Gunnar steel fork on my Street Dog was a tad harsh but it wasn't until I bought my first Waterford that I realized how much better the Waterford fork is. I no longer own Gunnars.

The long answer is all the pix I posted. Waterfords are sweet!

I don't think there is much actual ride difference between a Waterford and a Gunnar frame. The advantages to Waterford are the custom fit, beautiful lugs, endless paint options and never having that feeling that there is something better out there (there are plenty of frames that I will accept are the equal of Waterford but nothing better).

That last reason is going to save you a lot of money in the long run.

·
Slow but not so steady
598 Posts
"That last reason is going to save you a lot of money in the long run."

- Good point. I would have been better off buying the Waterford in the beginning vs all of the money I have spent "horse trading" for the next best ride. Probably had to experience the my stupidity first to understand what you are sayijng.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.