Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been drooling over the R-33 in the local shop, and I am this close to pulling the trigger. Never had anything nearly that nice before, or nearly that expensive either. I am currently on a LeMond 853 frame with Ultegra 9 Speed Triple and Kysyrium Elite wheels. I would probably transfer everything over except maybe a stem or seatpost to make it fit right.

What other bikes should I look at ? IF Crown Jewel? Cycip? Serotta? Custom build? I definitely want steel, and I definitely want light. I like to ride long miles in comfort, but I don't want a hog. I am not a racer, and probably don't need or deserve such a sweet ride, but what the hell.

What would you do?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I ride a Waterford 2200. The R33 according to what I have read and heard is that it almost rides like an aluminum bike. After a while, the steel is felt. You read from the other experts in regards to 853 vs. the OX True Temper. If I were to make an uneducated guess, the R33 is lighter and stiffer than my 2200.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Are lugs important to you? What about american made? I like lugs on a steel bike but only for cosmetic reasons.

Tig'ed frames I would look into.
IF
Pegoretti

Lugged frames.
Colnago Master X-Light
De Rosa Neo Primato
Waterford 2200

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lugs?

I do like the look of lugs, particularly the low profile type on the 22 series Waterfords. I wonder though, if they improve the ride on a frame made with air hardened steels like 853 or OX Platinum/Life.

Some of the really well made TIG welded frames are just beautiful in their simplicity (like my DeSalvo mountain bike.), so speaking of TIG welded beauty, what do you all know about Carl Strong? He makes erally sweet mountain frames, and I hear good stuff about his Road frames.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Carl Strong gets really good reviews on this site. I'm thinking his frames are powder coated though. If so, it is probably a superior finish for durability but I think I would prefer a more traditional painted finish. I figure you can get a lot more depth out of paint.

I don't know, but I'm guessing that lugs would give no real benifit to the ride when compared to TIG welding on 853 steels.

Anyone know what steel Richard Sachs uses? What is used on the DeRosa Primato?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
The weight difference between lugs and tig is a wash. Lugs add grams, but tubes that are to be tig welded need to be thicker on the ends. If you like that frames that come out of Waterford, compair the R22 (lugs) with the R14 (tig), or even their Gunnar line (tig).
Back in the "stone age" quality frames had to be made with lugs because the thin wall steel couldn't take the heat from tig welding. Now, you can choose between lugs and tig welding based on looks and costs. (tig welding usually saves some major coin)
The 2200 frame goes for $1600 while the R14 frame goes for $1300. The R33 is a little spendier at $2000. If you don't need custom (and few people really do), You can pick up a frame from their Gunnar line for $725. This frame is almost the same as the R14 model except custon isn't free. Custom adds $350, and a 1" head tube adds $150. Like I said, if you needs options, you'd be better off going with the Waterford line, and not the Gunnar line.

·
Registered
99 Posts
R-33 Rider Here

My Waterford R-33 is super-smooth. It is stiff when accelerating, but not on my back. It came in at 3 pounds in size 57, so it can be built into something reaonably light (not WW light).
It is the bike I always thought I needed. Until I had it.
Now, it's just another bike I own. Unless you really need the custom geometry, or you want a custom paint job, there's no reason to spend the extra dollar. Other bikes ride just as well.

I do get a lot of nice comments on it though. If you're into that kind of thing.

Michael
----------------------------
Ride, rinse, repeat.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Holy Shttt

Well, I worked a really good deal on the R-33 with color matched wound-up fork. I sent the money today. For now it's going to get the components off of my LeMond Zurich which includes Ultegra 9 speed triple drive train and Kysyrium elite wheels. I have a nice but heavy set of dura-ace/open pro wheels if the Mavics are too stiff on this stiff bike. I will post pics when it comes. Anyone looking for a 2001 Lemond Zurich (all 853) Size 59. Let me know

·
Registered
24 Posts
How much did you get the frame for?

Lutarious said:
Well, I worked a really good deal on the R-33 with color matched wound-up fork. I sent the money today. For now it's going to get the components off of my LeMond Zurich which includes Ultegra 9 speed triple drive train and Kysyrium elite wheels. I have a nice but heavy set of dura-ace/open pro wheels if the Mavics are too stiff on this stiff bike. I will post pics when it comes. Anyone looking for a 2001 Lemond Zurich (all 853) Size 59. Let me know

If you don't mind, I would like to know what you got the frame for?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Look before you leap (know your materials & fit before buying

Before you buy:

Know your materials, & your fit. First think about the exact ride you want. Do you want the main traingle stiff, seat stays more compliant, and chain stays super stout . . . etc. The way you want the bike to ride should dictate your material choice. Steel is for real, and waterford knows how to make bikes. But you need to communicate directly with waterford. I am not educated on the newer steel, but do your homework, get solid advise from the manufacturer, do not soley put your faith in the local bike shop.

Also Make sure the fit is exactly what you want. There is no excuse for franken stem's and countless head tube spacers on a custom frame. If possible, work your fit out on serrota, or similar, fit cycle, put half of the money down, then wait a week and re-check your fit. Keep this process up until you go three weeks with out changes.

Find a bike shop that will work with you.

The fit is the most important part of doing a custom frame.

I would check out the following manufacturers:

1.) waterford, IF, Steelman, Seven, ( I like moots better for ti bikes)

2.) Soulcraft, Scyip, Rock lobster, gunnar

Hope this helps,

Ken R.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.