Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Commuting to my job I started in the fall, awesome commute.

Well, I've been parking my bike inside with no objections until some busy body finds out and being that default switch is set to jerk in most places now I have to park behind the warehouse. I knew it was only a matter of time.

So anyway, is there a waterproof saddle out there? Or a cover that easily fits over the seat I have? I see a bunch. Just wondering what you guys prefer? It'll come off for riding so big and bulky is fine, just needs to cover the whole thing for when it's raining while I'm inside working.

I was telling my son maybe I can use this as an excuse to get a new waterproof saddle, do they exist?

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
A plastic shopping bag or a (if you want to go deluxe) shower cap works just fine. The shopping bag is my preferred cover since it wads up into a tiny ball and comes free of charge.

There was a Selle San Marco Ponza Lux Tri saddle some time ago, but it's been discontinued. It was advertised as being waterproof. If you're looking for one on ebay, look for an unmistakably large padded nose (especially noticeable when looking at it from the side) and make sure the model name has "Tri" or "Triathlon" in it.

·
Pitts Pilot
430 Posts
You could go all carbon.

You know, there are a lot of "Help me find a comfortable saddle" threads. If the saddle you have is working well for you, I strongly recommend you stick with that saddle. I'd go with the shower cap - less likely to blow off than the plastic bag. Pull it off, give it a shake, and throw it in your bag.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Except perhaps for Brooks, what saddles aren't waterproof? I've ridden all the saddles I've had for hours in the soaking wet with no adverse effects.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Except perhaps for Brooks, what saddles aren't waterproof? I've ridden all the saddles I've had for hours in the soaking wet with no adverse effects.
yeah most saddles are esentially waterproof. I leave my commuter bike, which has the cheap stock saddle on it, outside all the time just need to quickly wipe off the beads of water.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
The ones with large amounts of padding. You can wipe them dry all you want to—one or two seconds after you plant your butt on them, you feel something wet seeping into your crotch.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input. My favorite is a Brooks team pro. It came with a cover but I can't find it. Shower cap sounds like a winner.

I have a great commute. Just under 10 miles each way. The most cars I've seen over the last few weeks has been no more than 4-10. just got home a half hour ago. being Friday it was busier than most maybe 8-10 cars. Getting to know them all. Exchanging the wave/head nod. Really a great ride.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
You could go all carbon.

You know, there are a lot of "Help me find a comfortable saddle" threads. If the saddle you have is working well for you, I strongly recommend you stick with that saddle. I'd go with the shower cap - less likely to blow off than the plastic bag. Pull it off, give it a shake, and throw it in your bag
100% agree, carbon is the way to go man...

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
You can order a new one from Brooks or get one from Nashbar bearing their brand. I have the Nashbar one & it works terrific,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.