Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I am fairly new to cycling (just about one year in), but I wanted to get some thoughts on giving a wave to say hello to fellow cyclists as we pass each other on our rides. I would say I wave hello about 99% of the time, with the exception of getting up a tough climb, where I feel like I am grabbing the bars for dear life. With that, I have noticed a decent amount of riders not giving a wave (or nod) when I do it. I do not take anything from it really and I know it's a totally personal thing.....just wondering what others thoughts may be? :hand:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I usually waive or nod. Nothing wrong with being friendly ;-) I don't take anything personal if the other cyclist doesn't nod or waive. You never know what their situation is.
Yep, and you never know if they actually noticed you in the first place. Some times you get in a zone and get tunnel vision to what's going on around you.

Don't obsess.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I know I am fairly new to cycling (just about one year in), but I wanted to get some thoughts on giving a wave to say hello to fellow cyclists as we pass each other on our rides. I would say I wave hello about 99% of the time, with the exception of getting up a tough climb, where I feel like I am grabbing the bars for dear life. With that, I have noticed a decent amount of riders not giving a wave (or nod) when I do it. I do not take anything from it really and I know it's a totally personal thing.....just wondering what others thoughts may be? :hand:
I often appear to get ignored in the same situation. My "wave" btw typically consists of me lifting my fingers of my left hand off the bars...

I figure either that people don't like my Primal Wear Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon cycling Jersey (which is my favorite one) or they are too busy admiring how buff my legs are to wave... :cool:

·
すし + Sweet Potato Kugel
5,846 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
I generally give a nod unless I'm riding really upright, then I wave.

I just like being friendly. More often than not, the gesture is reciprocated.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I usually waive or nod. Nothing wrong with being friendly ;-) I don't take anything personal if the other cyclist doesn't nod or waive. You never know what their situation is.
Do you waive the wave, or waive the nod, or both?

Without implying any waiver of my right to be annoyed by the response or lack thereof, I will say that I am, generally, a waver, not just at cyclists, but at children, little old ladies (and men), pretty women and guys on picket lines.

I waive my right to participate further in the discussion.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
road bike guys are so uptight.
us motorcycle guys wave at everyone on 2 wheels
Oh, I forgot; I waive at motorcyclists, too.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
If ya wear a reflective vest...ya might be a waiver
If ya don't shave your legs...ya might be a waiver
If ya have a dork disk...ya just might be...a waiver
If there's a mirror hangin' off yur helmet...yup, that just might make ya a waiver
If ya wear MTB shoes on a road bike, waiver it
If yur helmet has a visor...ya might be a waiver
The list goes on

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Waiver? What am I waiving when don't shave? Did you mean "waver"?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.