Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The pix are nothing spectacular -- but whatever. Friends and I volunteer every year to work a rest stop at the MS Waves to Wine bike ride. This year we were stationed at West Marin School in Point Reyes Station. We were about 45 miles into the ride, basically the decision point for the riders to go for the 100 mile route, or the 75 mile route.

But let's start at the beginning.

My hotel. :) Because of the special I mentioned in my last post, I got a suite. The living room and bedroom were separated by floor to ceiling sliding doors. Cool. But I was impressed by the bath amenities. The usual shampoo, conditioner and soap....and a scrubbie!!!

Relaxing on Friday night, after dinner

Did I mention I was thrilled with the scrubbie? :p

Five o'clock in the morning came very quickly - We arrived at West Marin School to meet the trucks and prepare our decorations. Our mascot awakens.

Representing my team. We originally formed for the MS Top Hat ride.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The trucks were late, so we began decorating the grounds.

The iceman cometh.

Finally the trucks arrive, and we get set up. Rest Stop 3, ready for action.

Food prep

And of course, we all get t-shirts.

Our mascot proved to be very popular. Lots of cyclists posing for pictures with him. :)

The Ham Toaster

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
You got an RV!??!?!?

Thats effing awesome!

Turkey, FTW!

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The fast boys arrive

This was the calm before the storm....

Then the hoards began to roll in...

It got so busy, I couldn't take pictures. The line for Gatorade and water was unbearably long. We converted all three 5 gallon coolers to Gatorade. Three of us grabbed gallon jugs of water and started walking through the crowd, filling bottles and pointing people to the ice. This went on for I'd say, 2 solid hours.

The crowds began to thin around 12:15..The shaded ice was appreciated. He was not the only one to make an impromptu ice pack.

This morning I discovered the Pink Flamingo Fairy had left a present on my car...

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BentChainring said:
You got an RV!??!?!?

Thats effing awesome!

Turkey, FTW!
No silly, that's the Ham radio operator's RV.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If we work this stop again next year, we definitely need at least 2 more bodies. We never had a chance to breathe.

I love doing this, everyone is so appreciative that you are there, and the MS Society is one of my favorite organizations.

Perhaps The Lounge should represent next year.....

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
snapdragen said:
....and a scrubbie!!!
Life is good.

I've been to Point Reyes a couple of times, and it's been windy as ****. We're used to that around here, except in the spring. That'd be a great area to ride though...

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thinkcooper said:
Nice - we need to do this ride again - it's a great experience.
From the support side, I can say it is getting better each year. This year they brought in extra guys to help with the set up and break down of the stops.

I remember a couple of years ago, we supplemented the food, because we knew there would not be enough. Thankfully, the MS event staff listen to the volunteers when we make suggestions, and do their best to make improvements. They are great folks to work with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts