Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have company coming and my wife wants me to buy a couple of air mattresses. Any good quality ones that won't spring a leak right away??

I've had the displeasure of owning three different Coleman branded models. Each Coleman sprung a leak within the first half dozen uses. I complained to Coleman about their short-term use products. Since they have a lifetime warranty, they sent me a couple of freebies. One mattress is on EBAY now, the other will be when I get it.

Aero Bed?? Sleep Away? Rising Comfort??

Anybody own one that has lasted more than six months? A plus would be one that I could also use camping...but that's not critical. Thanks.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
I have an aero bed. I've never taken it camping, but I slept on it every day for about 6 months without a problem. It's been shipped across the country, tossed in the attic... and every time we take it out to air it up, still takes just 60 seconds and there are no leaks. That's what I'd go with, for sure.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
PaulCL said:
I have company coming and my wife wants me to buy a couple of air mattresses. Any good quality ones that won't spring a leak right away??

I've had the displeasure of owning three different Coleman branded models. Each Coleman sprung a leak within the first half dozen uses. I complained to Coleman about their short-term use products. Since they have a lifetime warranty, they sent me a couple of freebies. One mattress is on EBAY now, the other will be when I get it.

Aero Bed?? Sleep Away? Rising Comfort??

Anybody own one that has lasted more than six months? A plus would be one that I could also use camping...but that's not critical. Thanks.
Do your guests sleep with knives in their pockets? I have a cheapo Queen sized airbed that we use for camping--has kind of a velvety cover and comes with a rechargeable air pump (which you need). Works great for the purpose--wouldn't see why it wouldn't work for guest bed.

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spiked underwear

Bocephus Jones II said:
Do your guests sleep with knives in their pockets? I have a cheapo Queen sized airbed that we use for camping--has kind of a velvety cover and comes with a rechargeable air pump (which you need). Works great for the purpose--wouldn't see why it wouldn't work for guest bed.
But no knives in their pockets.....

I've gone the cheapo route (See the Coleman comments) and don't want to waste the time. Besides, I'm tired of hearing complaints about the flat mattress the next day. I've used my Colemans personally about twice per year - only once did a mattress have air in it the next morning. Used on carpet, inside a tent, in a gym, a hardwood floor - even with may 60lb son - they always go flat. Time to step up to the plate and spend the extra $$ for a high quality mattress.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
The Walrus said:
...or had you considered a futon bed perhaps?
That's what we use...doubles as a couch when you don't have guests and pulls out easily. Not all that much $$ either.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I can't recommend any specific brand, but when I got my bed years ago (one of those huge platform things intended for a waterbed mattress) I chose an air mattress, and 18 years later I'm still glad I did. It hasn't flatted once; the only inflation issue has been that ambient temperature has a huge effect on the pressure, but that's a long-term phenomenon that shouldn't matter to your guests. Spend a little more, and get a quality mattress. ...or had you considered a futon bed perhaps?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts