Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left the house a little early, rode a little farther then I dropped Miss M off on Capital Hill and rode straight down Pennsylvania Avenue to work.

Tandems sure feel weird without a stoker.

Why aren't there bikepool lanes?

Fun!

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
I've never tried playing around on a tandem without someone either in front or behind. I can imagine missing half you engine is like a Civic pulling a horse trailer. Doable, but takes some effort.

·
Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
I hope you didn't park your new plastic tandem in a bike rack for the day! He!!, even your old tandem is prolly worth way too much to be doing that. Or did you haul a tandem up to your office? :eek:ut:

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ridgetop said:
I've never tried playing around on a tandem without someone either in front or behind. I can imagine missing half you engine is like a Civic pulling a horse trailer. Doable, but takes some effort.
It is not the missing engine part it is the change in balance that is very odd at first. Plus it is pretty darn easy to skid that rear wheel.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..............

JohnnyTooBad said:
I hope you didn't park your new plastic tandem in a bike rack for the day! He!!, even your old tandem is prolly worth way too much to be doing that. Or did you haul a tandem up to your office? :eek:ut:
Actually the double is triple locked inside a cage inside a secure building.

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
If there were bikepool lanes in California, they would open them up to solo riders on electric scooters, because that takes more bikes off the roads.

Wait...what? That doesn't make any sense! But that's exactly what they did with the carpool lanes! Ah...California.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Pscyclepath said:
I can see the DC cops pulling you over for being a single-occupant-vehicle in the HOV lane...
They FLEW by me this morning. The Park Police should have pulled them over for speeding.:) Wait, that's not funny.....that's what they're talking about doing on the CCT. Nice bike.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Flew? It felt like we were just cruising.

KWL said:
They FLEW by me this morning. The Park Police should have pulled them over for speeding.:) Wait, that's not funny.....that's what they're talking about doing on the CCT. Nice bike.
I'm going to need a big ol' airhorn to warn the half-bikes we are coming.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,451 Posts
When first learning to ride our tandem, I did all my time solo. Didn't get as many funny looks as riding around on our quadracycle, or my adult trike, but a lot more than any other two-wheeler in the stable.

The solo-on-a-tandem feel is comical. The stoker's pedals seem haunted. And the delay between when the front wheel rolls over a stick, to when the back wheel finally hits it takes some getting used to; but when it happens and you're solo, that bump feels even more pronounced.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,328 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
I used to do the same thing some years back. My wife and I would commute with our tandem, I would drop her off, then head a mile or two down the road to where I worked. Sure was a strange feeling at first.
Love that rig. Like a rocket sled going down the hills...

And a dump truck going up...

·
Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
MB1 said:
I'm waiting until we get the cost of the thing down to $100 per mile. :eek:
I'm sure you accomplished that on your first ride. I can't imagine that bike having less than 200 miles on it. You've had it for a good two weeks already. It should have 500 on it by now.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
thinkcooper said:
When first learning to ride our tandem, I did all my time solo. Didn't get as many funny looks as riding around on our quadracycle, or my adult trike, but a lot more than any other two-wheeler in the stable.

The solo-on-a-tandem feel is comical. The stoker's pedals seem haunted. And the delay between when the front wheel rolls over a stick, to when the back wheel finally hits it takes some getting used to; but when it happens and you're solo, that bump feels even more pronounced.
On our cruiser tandem I usually haul a Burley with a soundsystem in it. Hard to get used to not having another 3 feet of trailer to think about when it's not attached. Kinda like driving a semi truck.

I sometimes use the tandem to go pick up the kids so I ride solo to go get them--plus they aren't much help pedalling so it's about the same with them on the back.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.