Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sierra Century, Plymouth, CA.

This happened on the route that is shared by the metric and miles century, I’ve no idea, who he was or anything else about the rider. What I am going to pass on is direct from the motorcycle officer’s mouth at the scene. It contradicts some of the rumor I heard at the after ride meal.

We had just climbed the first big one, Ram’s Horn and on up to the approximate 50 mile mark where the promised relief and fun of the descent back to the flat lands begins. Temp was closing in on 90, and we were all looking forward to the cooling effect of the high speed descent. When I got there, the road was closed and we were held by emergency crews, but as more and more riders crowded the intersection, creating yet more hazards, some of us went down the hill anyway, stopping at the accident site.

Officer at the scene:

“He ran into the backhoe (really a piece of heavy duty logging equipment a friend identified as a skidder). He was passing it on a blind, right hand curve when he saw a car coming up the hill. In his evasive maneuver, he went under the backhoe and was run over. Yes, he died”

I can add a lot of speculation, based on looking at the scene and seeing the piece of equipment, and the tracks from the skidder in the ditch, but then we all can. It happened in a cut through the hillside, there was no room for anyone to get out of anyone’s way. A few yards in either direction and maybe the outcome would just be the skidder and auto drive swearing at those “crazy cyclists”. But that is, as I said speculation.

When the road opened up and we were allowed to pass, we were required to walk past the scene. Plainly evident was the dirt thrown over the gore. A short way on was the skidder, parked in a driveway. A huge machine, tires were probably 4-5’ tall and 30” or more wide. This vehicle would take up all the lane by itself, and I imagine the car would have a moment of concern in that narrow cut w/o a cyclist trying to squeeze through.

Be Careful Out There

·
Registered
467 Posts
Man,I hate to hear stuff like that:( .However,sometimes stories like this serve as a reminder to us that we should be more careful.

It is easy to get "laxed" and do something like this poor guy did and end up hurt or worse.

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Yeah, I hate hearing that too. The guy was probably a good rider, but all it takes is the right moment to drop your guard, or not exercise enough caution and your life is gone.

I feel so sorry for his family..........:sad: :sad:

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,029 Posts
It only takes a second.......

when you are flying down a hill.

I was descending a few years ago at around 50 MPH when I saw a panel truck coming up the hill.......instinctivly I moved over to the right edge of the road........just as I moved over a motorcyclist, impatient with the truck, came flying out from behind the truck accelerating up hill.........the look on his face (and probably mine) as we missed each other by inches at a closing speed of 100 MPH was chilling. I stopped at the bootom of the hill and my legs were still shaking.

Your post is a sad reminder to be careful out there.

Len

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Len J said:
when you are flying down a hill.

I was descending a few years ago at around 50 MPH when I saw a panel truck coming up the hill.......instinctivly I moved over to the right edge of the road........just as I moved over a motorcyclist, impatient with the truck, came flying out from behind the truck accelerating up hill.........the look on his face (and probably mine) as we missed each other by inches at a closing speed of 100 MPH was chilling. I stopped at the bootom of the hill and my legs were still shaking.

Your post is a sad reminder to be careful out there.

Len
Agreed. I know the feeling of the full body tremble as I had a similar in incident in when a tourist bus came waaaaayyyy over his lane into mine. Luckily I wanted to relax on the descent and was going slow enough to avoid him by inches after briefly having the rear wheel break traction. Had I been turning the pedals in the drops, rather than coasting, I would have been in bad shape if not worse.....

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
teoteoteo said:
Agreed. I know the feeling of the full body tremble as I had a similar in incident in when a tourist bus came waaaaayyyy over his lane into mine. Luckily I wanted to relax on the descent and was going slow enough to avoid him. Had I been turning the pedals in the drops, rather than coasting and scrubbing speed, I would have been in bad shape if not worse.....
god yeah. me myself i was descending at around 50mph one time, and somebody zoned out behind me in a car. all i remember was descending, thinking this was great, then feeling a huge jolt, as their bumper touched my rear wheel. i stayed on by some act of god, got to the bottom, and collapsed on the side of the road, took me 45 minutes to get back on the bike.
-estone2

·
Cowboy up
3,886 Posts
So sad for the man and his family.

It was a strange contrast being at one of the last rest stops where everybody was dressed in festive Hawaiian outfits and learning of the death from a woman who was quite shaken up.

After the first rest stop when the line of cyclists along the side of the road was fairly dense, the route went on the shoulder of a busy road with some added construction traffic. It was also uphill so cyclists were going at different speeds and passing each other. Most vehicles passed by moving over in the lane or even straddling the center line since the line of sight was far. One person driving a cement mixer decided to skim the white line and blow his horn brushing past hundreds of cyclists. I was missed by inches. As someone put it "he was angry and wanted to kill somebody."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.