Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was looking at my treads on my contis today and noticed that the right side of my tires have significantly more wear than the left..
is this normal? or is something crooked about my wheels?

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Probably something crooked about you. You might favor one leg more, or one leg could be slightly longer. If the wear is on both tires, this is what I'd suspect.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm
i do feel like i pedal harder with my right leg...
or perhaps i take too many right turns? lol...

·
Fast No More.
770 Posts
daivs_T said:
hmm
or spend too much time going slow in the velodrome ;)

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
daivs_T said:
i was looking at my treads on my contis today and noticed that the right side of my tires have significantly more wear than the left..
I have wear on the right side of my Contis too (160 gram Supersonics) but mine is due to the 50 degree banking of an indoor velodrome :D

is this normal?
If you ride the same way on a slope like I do it is.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
daivs_T said:
hmm
Now if it was on the other side, I'd think you were a nascar fan :p

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
I got it! You live in Kansas and always ride south with a massive sidewind and you get the Mrs to pick you up and drive you home. Yep that'll be it.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
I was just thinking of something about this. Road usually have a slight crown in the middle, so when it rains, the water doesn't stay on the road. If you're riding on the right side, you should get a tiny bit more wear on the left side. So unless you're riding on the left side, then I'd suspect the way you ride.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Here's a thought... is your seat to high, causing you to compensate on your dominant side, causing more wear... I know for me my seat was high and I would favor a side to get power on the down stroke. I found I was rockin' side to side in the saddle to get that reach, but definitely favored one side. just a thought.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It's most likely due to uneven curing of the compound. Older molds can develop uneven heat distribution, resulting in one side of the tire curing at a higher temp.

You're not storing your tires near any ozone, exhaust, or outside in sunlight are you?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I naturally lean my bike slightly to the right, so i have a little more wear towards that side of my tires. it's not a huge lean for me, but noticeable

when you look straight down, does your line of sight cancel out at the same point out of each eye, or do you see more of your bike out of your left eye?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts