Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Yup! Aside from shorts or tights or shoes wearing black isn't't too smart. On hot days the color black, which is really all colors combined, absorbs more solar energy than any other color. Wear black in the sun & you'll be warmer. The other reason black isn';t a good idea is visibility. Black is the least visible of all colors. When I'm riding I want to give motorists a very good chance of seeing me.

·
Vintage cyclist
732 Posts
I do not own any black jerseys. Only bibs & shoes.

But here in the Phoenix area, it's still hitting over 100 degrees every day.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I love the look of black jerseys, but avoid them for sun and visibility reasons.

I do wear black bibs, don't worry about them in the sun since I'm so far bent over anyway.

Black shoes - they make you look slow. I avoid them.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Bedouins and other nomadic desert peoples wear black because it increases the evaporation rate of their cotton clothes and therefore the wicking speed at the skin - cooling them more than wet robes in white could.

Does that actually work with a tight fitting jersey made of a wicking material like Coolmax or wool? Maybe, but I doubt it. If you or your jersey is actually wet feeling, black would help, but I don't recall ever sweating faster than the sweat could evaporate with modern clothes and airflow.

·
Registered
33 Posts
No

All my jerseys are either pink or black. I can't say that I feel any hotter wearing black over pink. I live in south Florida, plenty of sunshine but possibly mitigated by near constant breeze if not gale force winds.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I have one black jersey that does not get much use, during the hot weather, it would not be a jersey of choice and during the cooler months, if there is low cloud cover, I prefer something a little brighter for reasons Mr. Versatile was eluding too.

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
3 black jerseys, one white, one yellow.

can't detect any difference when riding in triple-digit temps.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I'm with Oxtox. I live in PHX and have been riding through the summers for years. Our team has evolved from red/yellow to white to black. Same jersey. Same fabric. I can't say I notice any difference between them.

I can notice a difference in different manufacturers though. I have a black jersey by Mavic that is hotter than my black Pactimo jersey just because it doesn't breath as well.

FWIW, well ventilated shoes and knowing where all the QT's are is more important as far as comfort in hot weather goes.

edit: also, Craft SuperCool mesh under layers don't seem to help in any conditions.

·
Burn baby, burn.
2,497 Posts
I believe that the theory that black is hotter has been scientifically disproved.

Maybe less safe though.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
woodys737 said:
I'm with Oxtox. I live in PHX and have been riding through the summers for years. Our team has evolved from red/yellow to white to black. Same jersey. Same fabric. I can't say I notice any difference between them.

I can notice a difference in different manufacturers though. I have a black jersey by Mavic that is hotter than my black Pactimo jersey just because it doesn't breath as well.

FWIW, well ventilated shoes and knowing where all the QT's are is more important as far as comfort in hot weather goes.

edit: also, Craft SuperCool mesh under layers don't seem to help in any conditions.
is the phoenix schedule like the Tucson one? early in the morning (most rides there starts at sun rise)? sure the temps are high but the sun is still low so not that many optical photons to collect yet.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
den bakker said:
is the phoenix schedule like the Tucson one? early in the morning (most rides there starts at sun rise)? sure the temps are high but the sun is still low so not that many optical photons to collect yet.
Group rides depart at sunrise for sure.

I am not versed in albedo, specific heat of Pactimo jersey fabric, and photons absorption of a white v. black jersey given a particular sun angle to intelligently answer your question. All I can say is (IME) riding around in a white jersey doesn't feel any cooler than a black jersey. Just a very general observation. If you know who the Alienator is maybe ask him.:)

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
FTR said:
I believe that the theory that black is hotter has been scientifically disproved.
Hardly. There have been a few anecdotal comments but certainly no proof.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It's been quite awhile since I was told this, but I got it from an insurance adjuster. the hardest color vehicle to see, in daylight, is blue. I have noticed that black jersys a couple of minutes ahead are quite easy to see. Wouldn't really reccommend for night riding though.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts