Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Tomorrow I'm doing my first to-and-from commute. I'm curious if people are wearing the same shorts on the return trip that they wear on the way in. Putting on "dirty" shorts in the afternoon sounds like a bad idea, but using two sets of shorts plus work clothes for one day at the office sounds like a pain.

For context, my commute will be 13 miles each way with some significant extended climbs to work up a sweat, even if I am taking it easy.

Thanks for your opinions/advice.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
My commute is half yours, so YMMV, but I do 1 pair of shorts per day. They have 8-10 hours to dry between uses and haven't run into any funky issues. And I sweat plenty on my commute. I haven't embraced the slow bike movement yet.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I do it every day. My ride is shorter than yours (usually 6 miles in the morning) and pretty flat, but in summer it can be very sweaty even early. I've never had a problem. I do take care to hang up the shorts where they can air out well and dry during the day, so as not to encourage the growth of anything troublesome.

I'm generally scrupulous about wearing clean things, but washing 6 or 7 pairs of shorts every weekend is a lot already -- I don't want to have to to 11 or 12. As I said, I've never had a problem with saddle sores or the like.

The interesting days are when it's rainy in the morning. The shorts never dry out completely, so they're cold and damp when I put them back on. Not a big problem; I don't notice afte a minute or two.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Do you have a place in your office or workstation that you can discreetly put them out to dry?

I normally will bring in a second pair if I know I'm riding home as well as in (40km commute each way), however, there have been times that I just feel like riding home on the spur of the moment and use the same shorts both ways.

·
Registered
23,037 Posts
I have 17mi each way. Hang them up to dry while at work. Totally dry by the end of the day. I've never had a problem. Even on summer days with high heat and humidity.
If you're putting them on a clean body in the morning, how dirty are they going to get? A little sweat never hurt anything. If you get them dried out right away you're not going to have any critters growing.

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
I have 17mi each way. Hang them up to dry while at work. Totally dry by the end of the day. I've never had a problem. Even on summer days with high heat and humidity.
If you're putting them on a clean body in the morning, how dirty are they going to get? A little sweat never hurt anything. If you get them dried out right away you're not going to have any critters growing.
Same here. I ride 17 miles each way. Bike shorts dry pretty quickly. It never even occurred to me to wear a second pair on the way home. Hell, I usually wear the same pair for two days. Sometimes three in the winter.

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
use 3 pair and rotate them out...wear one pair to work, use a fresh pair on the return leg. use the third pair to get to work the next day.

the shorts left at the office will then have a full 24 hrs to dry out.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
You wouldn't believe me if I told you how many times I wear the same pair of shorts between washings.
I'd believe you, but I'd be grossed out and I'd rather not hear about it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Wow. Seems like a lot of 17mi commutes here (including me). I hang up my shorts and jersey and put them back on for the ride home. The only thing I put on clean for the return trip is my base layer. The one from the morning ride is way too funkified to wear home.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
When I commute it's about 15 miles roundtrip and I sweat like the proverbial pig. I hang my clothes on the back of my office door and everything is mostly dry for the ride home. Frankly, I don't really care how much sweat/funk is involved in the return ride. I know I'll shower and change as soon as I get home.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.