Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
The web is a MUT
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.amclassic.com/PDF/Wheelset_Rider_Weight_Recommendations.pdf

Found this in a random search for something else. Gives some ideas for when looking at various wheels and trying to figure out if they'll support a 200+Lb rider.

Anybody have any other sites that list components specifically for us larger than skinny cyclists? Or at least sites that list the recommended weight limits?

I'm looking at getting a set of wheels for the road bike this year and my weight goals are lagging behind schedule. Probably will be easier to sell off something and buy a strong set of wheels to use before I drop my desired 40+ extra tons (actually pounds) of weight.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
I'm 190 lbs (although I suppose I could get down to 180...), and I don't even look at those high-zoot wheels. Even if they are able to handle somebody heavier than a twig, they often have serious lateral movement, due to being just too [email protected] flexy. No, I build my own wheels-36 spoke rear, and either 32 or 36 spoke in the front. Never had one fail yet. I'm getting ready to build my 4th set any day now....

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Ya, I'm with Dave.

Don't forget that a few years ago everyone raced on 3x 32 or 36h wheels without butted spokes. Easy to repair, relatively bombproof, and comfortable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts