Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· ...?
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I replied to some post about a week ago about my first ride on my new fixie, and was told to post an update so you all know Im still alive.

So here we go... The first couple days were kinda rough, my legs hurt, and I kept thinking I had made a bad decision in buying the bike. Then I played around with the seat position, and OMG! huge difference. I did a 10 mile ride on the MUT and stopped every couple miles to adjust the seat a little at a time, and finally had it comfortable by the end of the ride.

My friend/ co-worker has been riding fixed for years, and I often ride home with him at night (we live about 1/2 a mile from eachother). Riding with him a few times helped a lot and made me feel a lot more comfortable. I havn't touched my geared roadbike since I got the fixie, and dont even have the option now as its on loan to a friend till he can afford to get his repaired. I rode down town in the loop today to go watch the Chicago Criterium, and was riding around the edge of the course too. Got a little sketchy when I was riding on the sidewalk, with a slight downhill, and super slow people walking in front of me, but I made it fine. Today was really good practice at going up onto sidewalks, and around little kids, and through crowds, and already noticed a difference in the controll I had when I rode home.

so a week and a half later, I love riding fixed gear.

Off topic.... My arms are super tan, and my stomach is not at all. Im kinda amused by the difference when I look at my arm across my stomach.

· Registered
1,473 Posts
good job, i too recently fliped my flop hub to fixed side. the first week sucked. but a couple weeks into it, I love it. I also took the clipless pedals off and puts flats last week, more comfy doing doing track stands at intersections etc.. (i run two brakes, so flats are fine).

In fact, I did a 65 mile ride thourgh s.f. and marin today on my geared bike, and hated it, I wanted the feeling of the fixed gear.

· Registered
14,776 Posts
I was the one who asked you to report in if you survived. Glad you're enjoying the fixed experience. I thought you would.

My wife makes fun of my farmer tan. It's really not a good look at the beach. I try to make some effort to even it out once or twice early in the summer, but with limited success.

Some years ago there was a Sports Illustrated article about Lance Armstrong, with a full-page photo of him shirtless in bike shorts, skinny tanned arms folded across skinny ghost-pale chest. It was not a pretty picture, on the whole.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.