Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first race ever is coming up at the end of the month. My question is what kind of workouts should i do or shouldnt do leading up to it? Should I keep it a light to moderate training week? Or a good hard workout Monday and taper down to Sunday's race? Thanks for any input you can give.

Carlos

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
los318 said:
My first race ever is coming up at the end of the month. My question is what kind of workouts should i do or shouldnt do leading up to it? Should I keep it a light to moderate training week? Or a good hard workout Monday and taper down to Sunday's race? Thanks for any input you can give.

Carlos
I believe what is usually recommended for a taper is keep the same frequency (or maybe slightly reduce #) of workouts, keep volume of intensity the same or reduce slightly, and then cut overall volume dramatically (like only 25-40% of normal amount).

·
Registered
342 Posts
You really shouldn't be tapering unless the race is a very important objective -- so keep training normally.

If you taper for too many races, you can end up less fit than when you started.

However, it's usually recommended that your rest one or two days before any race. Rest usually means a light easy spin of 30min to 2 hours. Most racers also like to incorporate 1 to 3 hard efforts the day before a race, usually in a duration of 45sec - 3 min, at a perceived exertion of "fairly hard".

There are many variations to the above routine, but it all amounts to: rest a little so you are fresh for the race, but go a little hard the day before so your remembers how to go hard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts