Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ejdo, Sawyer and I are heading out in about an hour for a weekend in WV at my parents cabin. However, this time, we're taking four of our friends and the parents are staying in Pgh.

Tomorrow we're going to go whitewater rafting on the Lower Youghiogheny River, drink beer, fish for trout, eat venison, drink wine, and watch whatever has begun of the Perseid meteor shower.

I'm totally psyched.

See you on the other side, hopefully with pictures!

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Brick Tamland said:
Sounds like fun. Enjoy!
Ignore this man. He only wants to come along in case you stop for frozen custard on the way.

·
half-fast
7,377 Posts
The only time I fell hard enough when fishing to seriously think I might not go home was in the Yock near Pittsburgh. I busted my ass, went in all the way, smashed my reel (was able to fix it with a rock and pliers, but is battle scarred forever), and got my feets tangled up in some rocks.

On that trip I caught exactly two fish, one smallie and one rainbow. They were both about 5 inches long.

That's a bad ass river. have fun, be careful.

Have you been to the natural rock water slide?

Also bad ass.

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
10ae1203 said:
That's a bad ass river. have fun, be careful.

Have you been to the natural rock water slide?

Also bad ass.
Thats probably a similar area to where we're going to be. Lots of good fishing around there.

I've paddled this stretch of water a number of times, just none very recently. We'll hit swimmers rock and watch the kayakers do all sorts of crazy stuff.

Ejdo and most of our friends have never been before, so I've been playing down the danger aspect, but it is real, especially on a few of the rapids we'll run. Thats why you should always go with a guide, especially if you don't really know what you're doing that much. I rafted quite a bit years ago, but I'd never dream of going without a guide. I might be crazy, but I'm not stupid.

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We survived. The rafting was pretty awesome, and the company was fantastic.

Spent the time not on the river drinking wine and hanging out with some cool people. I'll post pictures when we get them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts