Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing a weekly race series for the past two years and this year wanted to train a little more for them. The races alternate between MTB and Road every week.

I have been riding as much as I can between the two disciplines with a non-focused training and mostly base miles with a little interval work, but would like to do more focused training for the road. The first race is this Wednesday and the series goes through August.

Is it too late to start training? If not can anyone recommend a place to start? Time Crunched Cyclist, etc.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Not to late to stat training.

You can use the first race(s) to gauge your fitness and that of the competition.

My race training of late has been heavily focused on my biggest weakness - sprinting.

You'll need to identify your weakness(es) and tailor your training for that. If you are getting dropped from the pack, you'll want to focus on threshold efforts...etc

Time Crunched is a good option, I've had good results w/their training. You'll probably need to modify their training schedule so it fits w/your races schedule.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
Is it too late to start training? If not can anyone recommend a place to start? Time Crunched Cyclist, etc.

Thanks
the best training is racing. Start near the front and stay there as long as possible each week. You should be pretty wreaked each Thursday so a lite warmup and then lots of relaxed stretching would be where I would start. Sundays or Mondays I would do intervals after having done hills on the Saturday. How far off the pace are you? My mate is showing good progress with https://www.trainerroad.com/ good luck.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I would say anywhere from 150-200 miles a week. Sometimes I can't get out so I would use the trainer.

Kiwi, I would say I am middle of the pack. I can get dropped, but I can also stay with the peloton depending on the race. The races are always pretty short being around 20-30 miles but they take place in Aspen so they are at a high elevation with lots of climbing and then usually a short uphill sprint to finish. I definitely know I suck at sprinting, but I think my main goal is to increase my FTP.

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
Kiwi, I would say I am middle of the pack. I can get dropped, but I can also stay with the peloton depending on the race. The races are always pretty short being around 20-30 miles but they take place in Aspen so they are at a high elevation with lots of climbing and then usually a short uphill sprint to finish. I definitely know I suck at sprinting, but I think my main goal is to increase my FTP.
Training Road has given my mate good increases in FTP. Might be a good idea to have a talk to a local coach who can check your position a¥on the bike and see how you are doing. Personal support is a great way to stay motivated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts