Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting concerned. My weight is creeping upward. I'm on the road for work alot and really try to be selective with the foods I eat. Right now riding is really not getting done so I can't depend upon exercise to help control weight, need to scale back intake or explode.

An ideal weight for me is 175-180lb. I am sitting at about 195lb right now. Work will slow down and I will get some quality ride time in, but I need to scale back food intake until that happens.

I do try to eat an LIMITED Atkins type diet, restrict carbs and junk, eat better proteins, vegetables and whole grains. Anyone recommend a book or source of reading ?

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Try "The Zone" by Dr Barry Sears. I don't follow it religiously (I eat more carbs than he suggests) but a lot of what he says makes sense.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Work, hopefully will slow down some

and then I will have more time to ride. I think for the next week I'm going to chart out everything I eat and drink and get a baseline idea of how many calories I'm taking in daily, I believe alot of books would like you to know that up front.

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Thermodynamics uber alles

Arrogant Roadie Prick said:
I'm getting concerned. My weight is creeping upward. I'm on the road for work alot and really try to be selective with the foods I eat. Right now riding is really not getting done so I can't depend upon exercise to help control weight, need to scale back intake or explode.

An ideal weight for me is 175-180lb. I am sitting at about 195lb right now. Work will slow down and I will get some quality ride time in, but I need to scale back food intake until that happens.

I do try to eat an LIMITED Atkins type diet, restrict carbs and junk, eat better proteins, vegetables and whole grains. Anyone recommend a book or source of reading ?
Diet type has little effect, except that you can go with high protein for a short period to stimulate water losses. It's all about calories in and calories burned. If you're burning fewer calories, you need to eat less. The trouble with an Atkins diet from a weight loss standpoint is that a lot of people push in high fat along with the high protein. Just eat a normal diet, stay away from simple sugars and highly refined carbs, and EAT LESS.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Zone

Kram said:
Try "The Zone" by Dr Barry Sears. I don't follow it religiously (I eat more carbs than he suggests) but a lot of what he says makes sense.
The Zone has zero research to support it and it has been largely discredited in the last few years. It makes a bunch of unsubstantiated claims that have been disproven. Basically it is BS. But...don't take my word for it. Ask ANY nutritionist.

Mike

·
Registered
425 Posts
Diet

Kerry Irons said:
Diet type has little effect, except that you can go with high protein for a short period to stimulate water losses. It's all about calories in and calories burned. If you're burning fewer calories, you need to eat less. The trouble with an Atkins diet from a weight loss standpoint is that a lot of people push in high fat along with the high protein. Just eat a normal diet, stay away from simple sugars and highly refined carbs, and EAT LESS.

Great advice from Kerry here.....it really is that simple.

Mike

·
The Dropped 1
670 Posts
iliveonnitro said:
fitday.com

Follow it like a religion and I guarantee the weight will come off, even without exercise.
Ditto, though I don't use any of their programs or plans. I do use it to count calories. I keep track basically only on weekdays (I ride a lot on weekends and don't feel like saving every trail food wrapper I eat to count them up) of food eaten and activities, and weight.

I have done it sporadically in the past, but have been keeping pretty good track lately. Trying to find patterns. I was creeping down on a daily basis 2 weeks ago, last week creeping up. We'll see what happens this week. Generally calories and exercise didn't change much.

But, to the OP, you may well just be eating a ton more calories than you need for the exercise you are getting.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts

I spend a fair amount of time on the road, and have managed to lose about 40lbs over the last 7 months or so. I was at 208-210 at the end of last sept, and have been in the 165-170 range since early Feb.

1) Started jogging on the road, at some point, I want to swing a bike w/ couplers and travel w/ that.
2) Very particular on what I eat. Religiously avoid HFCS and partially hydrogenated fats. The more I read about HFCS, the more determined I am to stay away from that stuff.
3) leave the plate about 1/2 empty when eating on the road.
4) food log, I mostly do this on the road - eye opening. just keep it on your crackberry

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
My weight is creeping upward. I'm on the road for work alot and really try to be selective with the foods I eat.
It is very hard to control weight, much less lose it, when you are stressed about work and travel.

When I am on the road for work, which is admittedly not often, I take a 30 to 60 minute run in the morning. Yes, this means I am waking up abnormally early, but that also means that I get tired in the evening, can sleep pretty well, and can avoid drinking too much alcohol. On some trips (depending on location), the morning run is my favorite part of the day, and I look forward to it.

On a stressful, gotta-get-****-done business trip, however, all this flies out the window, because you go into survival mode.

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,380 Posts
Before the bicycle I was a wrestler...and therefore I did all the nasty stuff wrestlers do to lose weight, both healthy and not so healthy. The thing that has remained with me the most is the knowledge of exactly how much food I really need to keep a steady, healthy weight and to power vigorous physical activity. We really don't need that much food to power our bodies and most people eat too much thinking it is just enough. I also learned self control, which is a major part of it. You don't need much of the crap you eat. When the stomach is used to an amount to feel full... you fill it up. With some discipline you can shrink your stomach and lose the cravings. It is fairly easy to cut out the oils, sauces and extras that we use for our convenience... but really... the most a veggie or tuber needs may be a little steam to soften it up. The problem comes from being picky about how you eat food. I always hear, "I can't eat raw XXX! or XXX tastes better with XXX..or XXX is boring!" Simple is better. Calories in/Calories out... simple. Discipline/ Self Control and the Eye of the Tiger... very easy. Many people are lacking one of those traits when they wish to lose weight. I have maintained roughly the same % of body fat for almost 20 years.

·
Registered
78 Posts
****E A T R E A L L Y
S L O W L Y.

Try that, I mean really chew EVERYTHING fully, like you mom used to say, and
the out-of-style macrobiotic gurus used to say. You may find that half way thru
a normal meal, you are not only full, but tired of eating.

These days, I often cannot finish a full deli sandwhich. Wrap it, and have it later on
for a snack.

I am 61, bike ev day, and weigh about what I did in college.
'
Give up ALL SODA! Total crap. ( I was a Pepsi addict.) and the Fructose sugar
is seriously worse for your fat composition (i.e., cardio health) than plain old sugar.
Try just water with a lemon wedge. Saves money, but waiters frown.

good luck.

Over eating is usually a sign you're trying to replace something else missing
deeper inside. When you're really really happy, the last thing you want to do
is stop and "waste time" with eating. Ever been that engaged in some
activity with that kind of intensity?

Don't mean to preach, been thru many ups & downs with weight in the past.

Gene

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,380 Posts
Gene touches on something really important... the soda. It's not just the soda. Soda is an example of a food that delivers a rapid dose of calorie rich sugar into the body. Refined sugars in anything (bread, cereal, tea, cola, candy etc...) are high in calories from sugars that take very little energy to process. Imagine a grizzly bear eating soapberries before hibernation. The sugars are a great store of calories for lean times... we just don't have those lean times and don't need to store and carry our calories around. Limit the sugar. Refined sugar is like a direct dose.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
In addition to the above, cutting out soda and all the other crap. I find drinking seltzer water has satisfied much of my craving for soda and diluting a little bit with water make water more interesting. Limit eating your carbs to within 15 minutes or 30 minutes following your cycling. Eat smaller portions, eat more frequently, go to bed hungry, don't eat anything after 7pm or 8pm. Read labels. Eat tuna mixed in oil rather than in water, it's moister and you'll use less mayo or you can eat tuna straight without any mayo.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well from my own experiences, I lost 64 lbs in a period of 2 months (not normal). part of that was because I stopped eating any fast foods, I drink water ONLY, etc.

For breakfast I eat oatmeal.
For Lunch I'll eat a salad, sweet potato, brown rice, maybe chicken, some combination of those. Usually it's a hearty salad.
For dinner, I eat most things, but I just try to eat good foods, like fish, chicken and whatnot.

If I just HAVE to snack, things like cheerios, pickles (high sodium though), plain popcorn and some others can work well. Just like anything don't eat in excess.

I also do take some vitamins, since I have issues with certain dairy products.

Until my bike arrives, I religiously get on the elyptical trainer 1/2 hour in the morning, do some crunches (these don't do much for me anymore, so I have to do swiss ball crunches), pushups, knee lifts and a few other things which takes about 45 minutes. At night I do some weight lifting. My routines will probably change somewhat once the bike arrives, since I'll probably lower the leg workouts.

In any case, the only thing that worked for me was to do one thing at a time. If you try to do it all at once you're probably going to fail.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.