Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to choose between a used Ridley X-Fire carbon frame with full carbon fork and a new Specialized Crux aluminum frame with carbon/aluminum fork.

Doubt there are too many Crux frames on the street yet, so anyone have a best guess of the weight difference between these two framesets?

Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perhaps poorly worded

If anyone knows that exact weight difference great. But I guess what I am really asking is if you think it will be significant. And how much would you let that influence your decision in choosing a frame.

Yes, fit is paramount, but both frames will fit me. If I could try them both, that would be great, but I can't. So I need to choose, and weight is one differentiating factor.

If you have any other thoughts on differentiating factors, I would love to hear them.

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,381 Posts
KonaSS said:
If anyone knows that exact weight difference great. But I guess what I am really asking is if you think it will be significant. And how much would you let that influence your decision in choosing a frame.

Yes, fit is paramount, but both frames will fit me. If I could try them both, that would be great, but I can't. So I need to choose, and weight is one differentiating factor.

If you have any other thoughts on differentiating factors, I would love to hear them.
Crux has a centimeter more BB drop. I like Ridley geometry and not a fan of the Specialized juggernaut so I vote Ridley. Typically you'll see close to a pound difference in frame weight from good aluminum to good carbon frames for a given size. At least that's how it has worked for me on the three carbon frames I've purchased.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ouch - a pound, that definitely tips the scales towards the Ridley.

The bottom bracket drop and standover was the biggest difference that I saw between the Ridley in a 54 and the Specialized in a 56.

Would prefer the standover of the Specialized, but the Ridley has enough room. Can't say that I have ridden enough different cross bikes to weigh in on the difference in BB drop.

·
mattpnewell
86 Posts
my crux aluminum is 17.5 lbs in a 54 with red and tubulars. it is up in the cross bike pic section. The heaviest thing about the new crux is the fork is heavy, but super stiff.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I believe that you are better off saving money by getting the aluminum frame and putting it into upgraded components, especially wheels. Overall the bike will be lighter and faster.

·
Registered
280 Posts
JPHcross said:
I believe that you are better off saving money by getting the aluminum frame and putting it into upgraded components, especially wheels
The OP asked about weight savings not $$ savings. After all, could get a carbon frame and tricked out wheels/components which would be the best of all worlds.

But if $$$ were an issue, would favor the better frame. Components come and go every year, but a sweet carbon frame is likely to stay around much longer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all opinions

I am trying to decide between these two frames, and because the Ridley is used, the cost difference is only around $100.

That is what is making the decision more difficult. But right now I am leaning towards the Ridley.

If anyone has any other thoughts to push me one way or the other - I am all ears.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts