Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 65 and ride about 120 miles a week. Also play a fair bit of golf, I walk and carry my own bag usually.I have a cholesterol issue for which I take Lipitor and avoid excessive amounts of sodium and saturated fats.Calcium scoring tests indicate a very high level of plaque in my blood vessels putting me at significant risk to a cardiac event, but I'm just gonna keep on truckin'. I am fit enough to be in the high 90's percent for my age on an echocardiogram stress test, and, when measured two years ago, have 7.5% body fat. The Mayo Clinic is my health spot so my numbers are pretty accurate.

During the course of the last three or four months I have been riding more and I have lost about 4-5 pounds, down to about 145. I am getting a fair bit of "you look like a POW" from my spouse. Frankly, I am now very lean and my question is this, how do I gain some weight? All those easy ways, like M&M's, ice cream and cake are out for the saturated fat in them. I eat turkey and fish like crazy as well as salads and veggies. Recently I've added a little soy protein to my diet and am thinking about some soy bars which add about 125 calories per bar.

I'd be very interested if there are others out there with the same issues. I read so many posts about all the calories we have to replace, and I know we do. But how do I get there given my medical circumstances? Thanks in advance for your comments.

When I ride I take an Edurolyte capsule before I start and another in an hour or so if it is warm, I'm in Arizona. Usually down a Gu gel before I start and eat another every 45-60 minutes. 4 ounces of water every 15 minutes is my water drill and I take a revcovery drink immediately on my finish, every time. I don't bonk or get dehydrated, am just losing weight and I have little to give up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
msohio said:
I am 65 and ride about 120 miles a week. Also play a fair bit of golf, I walk and carry my own bag usually.I have a cholesterol issue for which I take Lipitor and avoid excessive amounts of sodium and saturated fats.Calcium scoring tests indicate a very high level of plaque in my blood vessels putting me at significant risk to a cardiac event, but I'm just gonna keep on truckin'. I am fit enough to be in the high 90's percent for my age on an echocardiogram stress test, and, when measured two years ago, have 7.5% body fat. The Mayo Clinic is my health spot so my numbers are pretty accurate.

During the course of the last three or four months I have been riding more and I have lost about 4-5 pounds, down to about 145. I am getting a fair bit of "you look like a POW" from my spouse. Frankly, I am now very lean and my question is this, how do I gain some weight? All those easy ways, like M&M's, ice cream and cake are out for the saturated fat in them. I eat turkey and fish like crazy as well as salads and veggies. Recently I've added a little soy protein to my diet and am thinking about some soy bars which add about 125 calories per bar.

I'd be very interested if there are others out there with the same issues. I read so many posts about all the calories we have to replace, and I know we do. But how do I get there given my medical circumstances? Thanks in advance for your comments.

When I ride I take an Edurolyte capsule before I start and another in an hour or so if it is warm, I'm in Arizona. Usually down a Gu gel before I start and eat another every 45-60 minutes. 4 ounces of water every 15 minutes is my water drill and I take a revcovery drink immediately on my finish, every time. I don't bonk or get dehydrated, am just losing weight and I have little to give up.
How about unsalted mixed nuts ??? Non existent in cholestoral and high in total fat. Low in saturated fat though.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Sounds like you want to add mass weight, not weight in the form of fat. Start some overall weight training. Low reps, high weight (well, work up to high weight anyway... ;) ) Keep eating what you're eating, riding like you're riding. You might increase the proteins. The weights should bulk you up and add back those 5 pounds in the form of added muscle and still be as lean. A person normally loses some muscle weight as they age.

brewster

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
brewster is right on...

time to hit the gym...
older riders need it more then the younger ones do. Aim for 3 times a week. I recommend using dumbells and free weights more then the machines. The machines focus too much on 1 muscle and ignore their supporting muscles. Also, give yoga a try. It will mix a little cardio into the workout.

be sure to consume protein after hitting the weights. This is very improtant for building and repairing muscle.

have your doc recommend a nutritionist for the CV issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts