Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Sojourneyman said:
I weighed myself before bed and after I had woken up, and it turns out I had lost almost 6 pounds. I'm far from overweight, so six pounds isn't inconsiderable.

How did that happen? Is that normal?
That seems excessive. I typically drop between 2 and 2.5 pounds overnight. I guess from unrinating and exhaling H2O, CO2, I don't usually sleep in conditions where I do any sweating.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Chances are your scale is messed up...I know on some scales if I adjust my weight one way or another, or stand in a slightly different place I can vary my weight by a few pounds. A good scale will help keep this from happening.

However, it's not unusual to lose a pound or two overnight. As others have mentioned you exhale fluids while you breath, also your body digests heavier foods while you are sleeping and if you use the bathroom before getting on the scale (as most do) some of the weight leaves your body during that process as well.

However....6 pounds is a whole lot.

·
Registered
768 Posts
While agree with others that 6 pounds would be excess, I do often wonder where the weight goes. I'm a vet, it's not like I don't understand physiology, but when I am 3lbs lighter in the am than I was the previous pm, I really wonder (3lbs lost seems pretty typical for me). I really don't think the morning "purge" accounts for all the weight loss. By way of comparison, I have weighed myself before and after a midday "purge" on several occasions (I know, I really need to find another hobby) and there is never a change in weight that my scale registers.

Mystery for the ages I guess

Joe

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Poop and pee

vetboy said:
While agree with others that 6 pounds would be excess, I do often wonder where the weight goes. I'm a vet, it's not like I don't understand physiology, but when I am 3lbs lighter in the am than I was the previous pm, I really wonder (3lbs lost seems pretty typical for me). I really don't think the morning "purge" accounts for all the weight loss. By way of comparison, I have weighed myself before and after a midday "purge" on several occasions (I know, I really need to find another hobby) and there is never a change in weight that my scale registers.

Mystery for the ages I guess
A typical pee is up to 16 ounces of fluid, which turns out to be pretty darn close to one pound. It is not uncommon to lose two pounds when you take a dump. Add it up :)

·
In dog years, I'm dead.
123 Posts
aussiebullet said:
l guess were not all the same 3-5lbs is typical for me and 6-7lbs is not all that uncoman, it does intrigue me but has always been that way especially when summer gets here.
I'm also in the 3-5 range the night after a triathlon brick or event. However, after a several-hour mountain bike ride I can loose up to 7 overnight. I haven't weighed my overnight difference after a road century ride, but it's probably about the same.

·
It's all ball bearings
5,285 Posts
I don't think it is necessarily a problem with your scale as others have suggested...it is entirely plausible that you actually lost 6 pounds in one night.

I weigh myself every night before bed and every morning when I wake up (on a high-end accurate scale mind you) and the difference is almost always at LEAST 2-3 lbs, and not uncommonly more than 5 pounds.

It depends on a lot of things: how much you pee (I get up to pee 2 or 3 times most nights), your metabolism and how many calories you burn during sleep (often it's more than one might think, and is essentially weight lost to body heat), how much you perspire (just because your shirt isn't wringing wet throughout the night doesn't mean you aren't losing weight to perspiration), and H20 loss due to breathing.

A lot of it, I would guess, has to do with your metabolism. Similarly, if you are an ectomorph with a high metabolism like I am, it is possible to lose 5 lbs from one day to the next if you skip a single 1 lb meal. In such a case, if you limit the food ingested into your system for fuel, your body will draw from other resources (your own body tissue) for fuel which is much less efficient than using food for fuel, in terms of energy expended per pound of fuel consumed; energy expended is proportional to weight lost.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.