Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your weight loss secrets? I know my number one problem is portion size. Once I figure out how to put less food on my plate.

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,351 Posts
I lost 15-20 lbs when I got divorced.
YMMV, of course.

·
Mountain Biking Defector
45 Posts
creekchub said:
Eat less, and ride that bike.... That's what works....
Yup! That's the ticket!

If you want to lose weight, you need to know how many calories you're taking in, and how many you're expending. The number you're expending needs to exceed the number you're taking in.

If you're not counting calories, you have no idea how many calories you're taking in. You need to keep a log of EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth, and you need to keep a log of what you do during the day, including exercise.

http://www.fatsecret.com has a decent system for doing so, and I use it.

Until you do this, your chances, in my view, of losing weight and keeping it off are slim. And that says nothing about training. If you want to train properly, you need to know what you're eating, and how much of it. While doing intervals all day makes you FEEL like you're getting faster and faster, you won't make real strides until you know both sides of the equation; food intake and energy output.

·
Neophyte
2,154 Posts
Exercise more... eat not only less, but better... write down what you eat, when you find you have a bad day with tons of calories and nasty food and see it on paper, you may be less tempted to do it again...

·
Registered
663 Posts
Fill your shopping cart from the inside perimeter of the grocery store as much as you can (bakery, meat, dairy, produce), and make good decisions within those areas by picking the lean cuts of meat, whole wheat bread instead of white, etc.

When putting your meal on your plate, follow the guideline of 50% vegetable/fruit, 25% lean protein, 25% whole grain breads/rice/etc. Most north americans get the ratio of veggies and grains backwards by piling on the rice or mashed potatoes.

Finally, as most other posters have already mentioned, calories out must be higher than calories in. Removing 1lb of body fat takes a deficit of roughly 3000 calories.

·
Registered
109 Posts
What everyone says about expending more calories than you're taking in is really the only way.

I stay fit by not being a pig about food and I don't just ride my bike, I dance, swim, hike, roller blade, ski when I can in the winter. I'm not a tall person so I have to watch what I eat and stay active or I'd probably look as wide as I am tall. Luckily, I enjoy exercise.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
also, avoid foods with a high glycemic index number. That would be anything with sugar or HFCS, obviously, but also potatoes and processed grains like bread, etc. Also beer, unfortunately.

I disagree with the folks who say losing weight is as simple as taking in fewer calories than you burn. It's not that simple because the body is a complex machine.

The thing about eating less than you take in is a simple concept, but difficult in practice, because you're dealing with a moving target. Your body must be in fat burning mode to reduce stored body fat. If it's not, you won't lose weight and you might even gain it regardless of your caloric intake. If your diet consists of mostly high glycemic foods, you won't lose weight even if you eat fewer calories than you use because of the effects those types of foods have on your metabolism. If you come home from that 5000 calorie ride and down a six-pack, you are sabotaging your weight loss efforts even though that beer only has 1200 calories.

The type of exercise matters, too. The body burns stored fat better if you are doing aerobic exercise, which means a lower and steadier heart rate. If you go for the 30 mile hammerfest, you quickly fall into anaerobic territory, which is not at all efficient for using stored body fat. The hammerfest is good exercise and good for you, just not good for losing weight.

The bottom line is successful weight loss is a combination of the right kind of exercise and the right kind of eating.

Edit: another thought. Your focus should really be not on losing weight, but losing body fat. You can actually gain weight but drop your bodyfat percentage if you add muscle through weight training.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Eat less meat.

Whenever I cut meat/proteins out of my diet (except nuts and beans) I tend to drop at least 5-10 lbs within the month without changing any other of my habits.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Go to www.livestrong.com, figure out your daily caloric requirement to lose weight gradually. If you feel like splurging, work out more. One "secret" is to work out medium intensity to avoid burning only glycogen. High intensity may burn more calories, but it's mostly glycogen and WILL make you very hungry afterwards.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Making conscious choices about portion size, food choice, exercise, etc., were the stumbling blocks for me. It was very easy to convince myself that I had only eaten a little of this or that, that I hadn't eaten this or that, and on and on.

I joined WW online a couple weeks ago, and have been religiously tracking everything that I ingest, as well as how much exercise I have been getting, and so far I've dropped 8 lbs.

Some/most people might be able to do this on their own, but having everything sitting in the cloud with a decent food database and friendly interface to work with is making it very easy (and accurate) for me.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Some of the things you stated are not true. Not picking on you, but just trying to clarify some missconceptions out there....

Andy69 said:
The type of exercise matters, too. The body burns stored fat better if you are doing aerobic exercise, which means a lower and steadier heart rate. If you go for the 30 mile hammerfest, you quickly fall into anaerobic territory, which is not at all efficient for using stored body fat. The hammerfest is good exercise and good for you, just not good for losing weight.
The body does rely on a greater percentage of fat during aerobic exercise. But you burn more total calories at a higher intensity. (see figure) And energy balance over time is what causes weight loss. You have to create a negative energy balance (EB). If you create too great a negative EB, your "metabolism" slows down. That is part of why weight loss and calorie deficit calculations do not always apply directly to actual weight loss.

You also rely primairly on fat for metabolism in the postprandial state (2+ hours after a meal) and you have EPOC or elevated post exercise oxygen consumption. So an exericse bout that burns more calories will likely lead to greater loss of weight (fat)assuming that those calories are not replaced fully after the workout. High intensity exercsie increases EPOC to a greater extent than low and moderate intensity workouts.

Again, there has to be a balance to High and mod/low workouts. If you are always doing high intensity while in negative EB, you will get diminshing returns as you do not recover nor replace muslce glycogen before the next bout...

And this is in the lounge right?

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
I've gone from 223# (March) to 185# and still dropping. You ask how?

In March I stopped drinking more than two beers a day and nothing after 8 pm. I was consuming 3-5 a day with no exercise. Now I might have 2 beers twice a week. I love beer, I just don't need it to get through the day.

I stopped eating chips and crackers. I pretty much eliminated all worthless calories. If I wanted a snack I might make some popcorn on the stove.

The hardest part was portion size and fast food temptation. I've been pretty good about not eating at fast food joints, but when I'm in the service truck and my coworker is driving it tests my willpower.

As for the portion size, Stopping at one helping was the first thing to do. As far as size of portion, once I was able to ride again I was fine. I wasn't loading up like Jethro Bodine and my body needs the calories and nutrition. The types of food I eat help as well. I'm not a strict vegetarian, but I only eat organic meats (bison, beef, chicken) and fish. I'm not eating more than 6 oz of protein either. Lots of vegetables and salads too. Balsamic vinegar dressing is my choice there too.

As for riding, yup, lots of riding. It's mostly road but I do race MTB. Most of that is in the evenings, but being on furlough helps get it done in the mornings. I didn't put a computer on my bikes until this last Tuesday, but I check distances on mapmyride.com if I've gone for more than 3 hours.

This last week I had 283 miles
Sun-35 Mon- 73 Tues- 28 Weds- 42 Thurs- 32 Fri- 0 Sat- 73 (45 am + 28 pm)

I'll have different milage depending on the group or if I'm riding solo but for the most part my rides are less than 2 hours in length. Obviously the 73 mile days are closer to 4 hours on the bike, but the tempo and the routes make it more of a workout. Sunday, Wednesday and Thursday were flat social routes with friends. We were averaging 18-20. Tuesday and Saturday morning were hillier and more aggressive rides averaging nearly 20. Saturday afternoon was a very social and relaxed ride before a cookout. There were a few new to cycling riders who needed someone to set a tempo (14-16) and break the wind. A couple of these riders are very overweight and some have difficulty getting out of their pedals to walk up a hill. Falling over on a hill may take a shot at their ego, but I'm (we're) there to talk them through it and keep showing up. And yes they're using clipless. Monday was solo on a fairly hilly route on a hot day. It felt like 20 most of the time, but I didn't have the computer on yet. My heart rate never got above 160 except on the climbs.

My summarized advise is this: eat less crap, one helping, and ride with others.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
sdeeer said:
Some of the things you stated are not true. Not picking on you, but just trying to clarify some missconceptions out there....

The body does rely on a greater percentage of fat during aerobic exercise. But you burn more total calories at a higher intensity. (see figure) And energy balance over time is what causes weight loss. You have to create a negative energy balance (EB). If you create too great a negative EB, your "metabolism" slows down. That is part of why weight loss and calorie deficit calculations do not always apply directly to actual weight loss.

You also rely primairly on fat for metabolism in the postprandial state (2+ hours after a meal) and you have EPOC or elevated post exercise oxygen consumption. So an exericse bout that burns more calories will likely lead to greater loss of weight (fat)assuming that those calories are not replaced fully after the workout. High intensity exercsie increases EPOC to a greater extent than low and moderate intensity workouts.

Again, there has to be a balance to High and mod/low workouts. If you are always doing high intensity while in negative EB, you will get diminshing returns as you do not recover nor replace muslce glycogen before the next bout...

And this is in the lounge right?
I don't see anything there that's inconsistent with what I posted.

I can see how my post might be misconstrued to say that low intensity and only low intensity workouts are the only way to lose weight, and that high intensity workouts contribute nothing to weight loss. If all you do is low intensity aerobics, you will lose weight but you will lose quite a bit of lean tissue, which is not what you should be aiming for. I probably should have added that high intensity workouts are necessary, but that extensive high intensity workouts alone are not as effective. Meaning, if all you do are hammerfests, don't expect to lose a lot of weight. You need both, because both have beneficial effects.

This just highlights the fact that the issue of weight loss is much more complex than a simple calorie deficit.

That info was interesting, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
426 Posts
So you guys are saying

That riding 32km to the Hooters having a draft and 10 wings then riding the 32km back home might not be the ideal weight loss programme Damn

1 - 20 of 29 Posts