Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
xploshin
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm a 16 year old boy trying to lose a lot of weight I gained. I gained 80 pounds in less than a year due the large doses of prednisone I took while undergoing chemotherapy for Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma. Before I was diagnosed I was extremely healthy, I played competitive volleyball and ran track, on days that I didn't have practice I would run 3 eight minute miles and stretch for thirty minutes. I was very dedicated to my sport and I was actually very good.

That was before I went from my healthy weight of 145lbs to my pre-diagnosis weight of 130lbs and then up to 226 pounds. I was given prednisone and I was on crutches for 5 months after being confined to a wheel chair for a month, so I did nothing and all of my muscles completely atrophied. My cancer occurred in my bones, and my bones were essentially like swiss cheese for a while, but they are back to normal that I am in remission. I took up biking because of the low impact nature of the sport.

So a little information on my height/weight and my goals:

I'm 6' 1" and 214 lbs, right now but I expect to grow more.

I have a high resting heart rate, I'll take it later tonight when I lie in bed reading. I also have high blood pressure.

I have a very good diet, I don't drink anything besides water, and I don't eat after 7:30.

I have a heart rate monitor and I am wondering what a good range would be for me to lose weight. I have gained back a good amount of my muscle, and am doing some light weight lifting to get a stronger core, increase my balance, and to increase my overall strength.

So essentially I want to know what I should be doing on my bike, I want to lose weight, gain muscle, increase endurance, and improve my overall health.

If there is any more information you need to help me out feel free to ask.

·
Registered
534 Posts
First, talk to your doc and be sure that there's no issue with starting a cycling program.
With respect to your HRM:
1. Figure out your max heart rate using a formula for now. (MHR for short). Just google heart rate calculator and you'll find a bunch. Or, depending on the model, it might estimate it for you.

2. Basically, after that, ride your bike with the HRM. Go slow and -easy- to build up your strength (say 60-65%). That will be very hard to do in the beginning, and you will feel like you're crawling. But stick with it. Build up a base, and do one long ride per week. Obviously, there will be times that you can't control it (like going uphill), but the key is to gear down as best you can and spin through it.

3. This will be a lot easier to do for you if you set a goal with respect to your performance--whether riding 25 miles, 50 miles or 100 miles. At your age, your metabolism is going to help you out a lot.

There are lots of books and threads about cycling training. Joe Friel is one that's been recommended a lot, but I've never read it.

Compared to what you've been through riding will be nothing. Welcome back to the fray.

·
xploshin
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sorry I probably wasn't that clear, I've built up a good base, I can ride 20 miles in roughly an hour and 15 minutes consistently (5 days a week). So 60% - 65% would be a good a good fat-burning zone?

Edit: Also, completely doctor endorsed.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Miiles said:
So 60% - 65% would be a good a good fat-burning zone?
At that percentage of MHR, you'll be burning a high percentage of fat as fuel, but, THE over riding principle of weight loss is to burn more calories than you take in. If that's long rides at a lower heart rate, than do that. If that's shorter time frames, but at a higher intensity (HR), then that will work too as long as you're burning more than you're eating.

To be a well rounded cyclist, you'll need to do long rides as well as short, intense ones.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
If you are exercising a lot, AND trying to maintain caloric deficit, then get plenty of sleep.

I'm not so sure that fasting after 7:30 is a great idea, depending on when you normally hit the sack.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
PG_Gary said:
At that percentage of MHR, you'll be burning a high percentage of fat as fuel, but, THE over riding principle of weight loss is to burn more calories than you take in. If that's long rides at a lower heart rate, than do that. If that's shorter time frames, but at a higher intensity (HR), then that will work too as long as you're burning more than you're eating.

To be a well rounded cyclist, you'll need to do long rides as well as short, intense ones.

+1000

Just go out and ride. Hard, easy, short, long rides. Do them all, or all that are fun. The more you ride the more weight you will lose. Make sure to eat enough to fuel your riding... cut back on food in the evening instead. But since you are 16, you will lose that fat really fast. Your RHR and blood pressure will come down as you get back into shape and get rid of the effects of the chemo.

You might also consider doing some load-bearing exercise to help rebuild bone. Running or weight lifting. That's pretty much required when you are over 45 but it may help your situation as well.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Max HR estimate

hrumpole said:
Figure out your max heart rate using a formula for now. (MHR for short).
No, don't do that. It can be off by a lot. A much more accurate method is to ride flat out for 25-30 minutes, and take your HR for the last 15-20 minutes of that effort. This is roughly your anaerobic threshold/lactate threshold, and forms a much better basis for training.

Zone 4 (AT intervals) 95-105% of AT
Zone 3 (hard aerobic cond.) 85-90% of AT
Zone 2 (aerobic conditioning) 75-85% of AT
Zone 1 (recovery) 65-75% of AT

·
Registered
625 Posts
get healthy first ...

Miiles said:
So, I'm a 16 year old boy trying to lose a lot of weight I gained. I gained 80 pounds in less than a year due the large doses of prednisone I took while undergoing chemotherapy for Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma. Before I was diagnosed I was extremely healthy, I played competitive volleyball and ran track, on days that I didn't have practice I would run 3 eight minute miles and stretch for thirty minutes. I was very dedicated to my sport and I was actually very good.

I'm 6' 1" and 214 lbs, right now but I expect to grow more.

I have a high resting heart rate, I'll take it later tonight when I lie in bed reading. I also have high blood pressure.

I have a very good diet, I don't drink anything besides water, and I don't eat after 7:30.

If there is any more information you need to help me out feel free to ask.
First you should see a DR for your high blood pressure. If your resting heart rate is high they probably will prescribe a Beta Blocker... Beta blockers decrease the heart rate and cardiac output, which lowers blood pressure. for example Atenolol (Tenormin) ... You should do a google search on Beta Blockers. This will slow your cycling down, but the object is to get healthy FIRST...

As for your diet, No lunch meat or stuff from the DELI... Salt is the enemy... If you cramp when cycling, then up your salt on those days...

Start drinking Juice (orange, grape, others) ...

Dont push... you need to be healty!

·
xploshin
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kerry Irons, I'll do that tomorrow for my MHR.

I went out today and I could only stand to ride at 60% of my theoretical MHR (220 - age) for five minutes. I can ride comfortable at ~170 for an hour and a half, but riding for 5 minutes at 120 is impossible. WAY TO SLOW.

My doctors aren't concerned with my high blood pressure right now, heck, they're the ones that made it that way.

I drink orange juice in the morning with my breakfast, but other than that its water all the time.

Good to know about the lunch meat, what would be a better thing for me to make myself for lunch? I've been having turkey sandwiches and an apple lately.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Miiles said:
Good to know about the lunch meat, what would be a better thing for me to make myself for lunch? I've been having turkey sandwiches and an apple lately.
An easy way to replace the lunch meat would be with anything you can prepare yourself at home, thus controlling what goes into it. Cook a chicken or turkey breast in the oven, and cut it up.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I like tuna, either right out of the vacuum sealed pouch or out of the can. No cooking. I just returned from a short trip and I took most of my food with me. It works best for me if I only eat stuff I have prepared at home.

·
Registered
950 Posts
David Loving said:
I like tuna, either right out of the vacuum sealed pouch or out of the can. No cooking. I just returned from a short trip and I took most of my food with me. It works best for me if I only eat stuff I have prepared at home.
You can get low sodium tuna in a can too. Tuna, with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar mixed up is really good (at least I think so) instead of something like mayonnaise. I put the tuna mixture on some avocado.

Try to eat as much fresh food as you can - fruits, veggies, etc.

You can make lots of stuff pretty easy and control sodium content. I make really good spaghetti sauce now after finding out how much salt most sauces have, and how crummy low sodium commercial sauces are.

Keep up the great work. You're doing things at 16 that it took me 50 years to figure out...

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
fsdork said:
An easy way to replace the lunch meat would be with anything you can prepare yourself at home, thus controlling what goes into it. Cook a chicken or turkey breast in the oven, and cut it up.
I am a fan of some sushi rice and a light/fit/low fat yogurt for lunch. Sometimes I replace the yogurt with some chicken. It is all easy to make and can be reheated in a microwave so you can make extras to last the week or take to school. It is kind of bland, but it gets the job done. I usually will sprinkle some parmesan cheese on the rice after reheating it too.

What has been working for me in terms of weight loss is just riding a lot and then riding some more. That and eating less food but more often which may or may not be an option for you depending on school situation.

Like Terex said, keep up the awesome work. It may take some time but you will get there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts