Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may seem like heresy cos I don't intend to do any pro cyclocross or run across fields with my bike over my shoulder, but I'm seriously considering a cyclocross bike and would love some advice cos none of the websites give any indication of the weight of these bikes. I want to use it for commuting to work (a very flat ride on urban streets) but since i live close to a lovely park, and some great riverside towpaths, would love to be able to ride it there at speed without feeling that I'm going to come off every time I hit a stone. Also, my current bike is over 20 years old and although it used to be gorgeously responsive and light (531pro with all Campag), it's now vintage and carbon fibre/aluminum have changed everything. So which bike should I go for? I've read reviews on the Lemond Propad, Trek XO1, Specialized Tricross Comp, Bianchi Axis, but there's no real indication of how much they weigh. As you can probably tell, I'm fairly obsessed about weight, but since I'm about 35lbs heavier than in 1980 that may be misguided. The other factor, I guess, is responsiveness. My old bike has some fairly rakish angles, and has always been twitchy, which has made it great for traffic and acceleration, which I'd like to replicate to some extent, but I am getting on a bit (early 40s) and the modern aluminum frames sound very stiff. Some of you punters have recommended a steel frame, but so far as I can see, that would mean my bike would be every bit as heavy as my current one (and possibly heavier, since I've converted it to single speed). Is carbon fibre the way to go? I was thinking of spending around $1200-1800.

· Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
adam olddogs'n'newtrick said:
Some of you punters have recommended a steel frame, but so far as I can see, that would mean my bike would be every bit as heavy as my current one (and possibly heavier, since I've converted it to single speed).
So, how much does your current bike weigh? Will you still want to go single speed?

· Registered
2,229 Posts
In that price range for a complete bike, the specialized would be light, maybe a Connondale is worth looking at, I'm not familiar w/ Bianci, the Lemond weighs more but is a nice bike. I doubt you could purchase a carbon fiber at that price for a complete bike.

Cross bikes sit you up higher than normal and have sort of slow steering. It's not the optimal bike for road riding, but many people use them on the road for what you propose with good results.

· tdiclub Member
417 Posts
here's what I typically offer advice-wise. If you want comfort, value and a really nice ride...
a gently used high end steel frame is the way to go. Search the classifieds here, ebay and mtbr.com classifieds. For 1200-1800 you can find something rather nice. Also look over the pics of 'cross rigs here and see what catches you eye.
this Spot SS is rather tempting....
http://cgi.ebay.com/SPOT-single-spe...246704222QQcategoryZ98084QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

this Ti Serotta is a bit on the high end of your price index but nice regardless...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Serotta-Legend-...246968246QQcategoryZ98084QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Answers

PeanutButterBreath said:
So, how much does your current bike weigh? Will you still want to go single speed?
Interesting. Thanks for all the posts. Current bike weighs 25lb. It's a big bike (I'm 6'2") using old geometry. I don't want to go with a single speed. I'd like something that's flexible (ie city/dirt road; flat/hills) without feeling like too much of a compromise on speed/responsiveness. Getting down to 20lb would be a good aim, I think. How much would a carbon-fibre bike be that meets these needs?

· tdiclub Member
417 Posts
hmmm material discussion.
Steel is steel, ti is like steel but expensive, aluminum is good for racing 'cause its cheap, light and stiff, carbon I guess would be ideal, but price and possible fatigue are drawbacks.
Perhaps if you're looking for a long term frame (5- 20 years) Ti or steel could suit you.

On friday I stripped the clearcoat off a 12 year old litespeed frame, looked good as new.

keep looking for a demo or used in your size.

My friend owns a Redline Ti cyclocross, he likes it very much.
http://www.greenfishsports.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1134
price is close...

· Registered
813 Posts
so most $1300 stock bikes will fall somewhere in 21-24 lb range. A lot of LBS have scales in them, and you can ask to have it weighed for you.

If you want a totally custom ride, i would recommend piecing it together yourself, that way you can completely control the weight/price/and level of each component.

You wont be able to get a carbon bike for $1800. Unless you mean a rear carbon triangle bike.

It sounds like you hold onto bikes for a long time, so steel or ti would be a good choice. There arent a lot of ti frames out there----but they will pop up here and there.

I like aluminum bikes, because their light and cheaper.

j

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.