Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
steel road, fixie, & MTB
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
typically, what is the weight of a $2K MSRP cyclocross bike?
looking ahead for fall '06 cross season
to buy a crossbike or use my son's 21# (on a Topek digital scale, with Time Atac xs pedals: al. frame was claimed as 2.9#, but really's 3.3#) xc mtb?
does cross gearing differ much from road bike gearing (of doubles, i do not like triple rings, I'll even go double on my main xc mtb, 29x44, when it's time to replace the rings)?

my Viner Pro Team steel road bike weighs in at 20.2# with Campy Chorus doubles

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
TrailNut said:
typically, what is the weight of a $2K MSRP cyclocross bike?
looking ahead for fall '06 cross season
to buy a crossbike or use my son's 21# xc mtb?
does cross gearing differ much from road bike gearing (of doubles, i do not like triple, I'll even go double on my main xc mtb, 29x44, when it's time to replace the rings)?
You will likely save a couple pounds. I assume that you've put the bike on the scale and know it's really 21 pounds? I'll give you an anecdotal story and then perhaps some real advice. This past season, one of my racing pals was gunning to win the series (he got upgraded first though). One race looked to be "mtb friendly" so he hedged his bets and brought his hardtail -- custom Co-Motion and pretty light. He started on that bike and I was hanging with him pretty well. Then he did a bike exchange to his cross bike and it was like he had jets. He was definitely faster on the flats and faster up the hills.

How fast you go will largely depend on your motor and technical skills. However, I think that cross bikes are faster for cross races -- in general.

Typical cross gearing goes 38/48 or 36/46 or 38/46 and 12-25 or 12-27. Triples are rare in cross. Singles (like a 42 chainring) are more common.

If you are any lower than 38x27, you are better off running.

Don't spend $2k on an off-the-shelf bike. Buy used (classifieds here, Ebay, craigslist, etc.) and customize. You can likely get two race bikes used for that scratch. For racing, two bikes is better than one.

·
Devinci_rider
32 Posts
depends who makes it and what it's made out of. the soma I had built came in around 18/19lbs. it was built with Sora shifters and basic mid range parts, but with a ti bottom bracket, single ring in front and light wheels, it brought the weight down. I'm now riding the Devinci Tosca, with a few upgrades and it falls around 20lbs (see thread from today for pics and spec.). The Soma probaly retailed for around $1600 and the Devinci with upgrades came in about $2100 (Canadian $). The biggest problem is to get the weight to about 17lbs and under, then you're talking about doubling the price, not worth it in my eyes

·
Registered
813 Posts
Soma_rider said:
depends who makes it and what it's made out of. the soma I had built came in around 18/19lbs. it was built with Sora shifters and basic mid range parts, but with a ti bottom bracket, single ring in front and light wheels, it brought the weight down. I'm now riding the Devinci Tosca, with a few upgrades and it falls around 20lbs (see thread from today for pics and spec.). The Soma probaly retailed for around $1600 and the Devinci with upgrades came in about $2100 (Canadian $). The biggest problem is to get the weight to about 17lbs and under, then you're talking about doubling the price, not worth it in my eyes
i agree with most of what you said, but not that getting a bike down to 17lbs requires $4000.

My A bike last year was 18.5 lbs, and with a new wheelset and some small upgrades, Im planning on getting it sub 17 lbs.

I think it just takes some brains to put together a light bike, and that focus of low weight has to be one of the top priorities in the build process. I agree with Gripped that you can put together two respectably light bikes for $2000 scrounging off ebay or the rbr classifieds.

jb

EDIT: I bought my Trek X01 56c used last fall for $600 shipped (the bike didnt include wheels) and final weight (with wheels) is 20.5 lbs. This is spec'd with ultegra/Dura Ace and clincher wheelset.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
my 61 C Bianchi Cross Concept

which I think retails around 2 G is around the 19-20lb mark. as light as I'd ever want it to be, in fact its weight scares me sometime

·
Devinci_rider
32 Posts
ya, sorry, when I said double price, I definelty meant full retail prices, which can be ridiculous. I guess the best way to build a light bike is to work at a shop, once you start buying things at cost, $2k can get you that 17lb bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts