Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
I am pedlfoot
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...I'm curious to find out the weight of your steel bike.My 531 lugged is just below 22 pounds without seat pack.I'm not that much of a weight weenie or I probably would'nt ride steel.To me the ride is much more important than a few extra pounds.Please give a decription of your bike and overall weight.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Weight

My custom Dedacciai Zero Uno lugged frame/fork weighs about 5.25 lbs. Built up with Dura Ace 9 speed, the total weight is 19.25 lbs.; more than light enough in my opinion.

The key thing many people forget is that the frame is only one part of the total bike. Modern aluminum/carbon frames typically weigh in the 2.75 lbs range while classic steel frames are about 4.0 lbs. The 1.25 lbs. difference is insignificant for the most part considering the total bike + rider weight is the important thing.

For example: Typical rider weight of 160 lbs., steel bike weight of 20 lbs. vs. carbon bike weight of 18 lbs.

Carbon bike + rider = 178 lbs.
Steel bike + rider = 180 lbs.

Total difference = 1.1% - Insignificant

Ed

·
DonRacer
63 Posts
My steel Fondriest Status Carb (58) weighs 19 lbs with mostly Dura Ace components and campy eurus wheels.. It is about 3 ounces lighter than my Cannondale R2000 with Ultegra and proton wheels! It could lose another pound with a few upgrades but I like it as it is.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
got a couple

Custom Strong done in Ultra Foco and a carbon rear triangle with DA9 and Ksyriums weighs about 17.8
Bianchi Boron XL with Chorus and OP/Chorus wheels, about 19
Pinarello Opera with Record and Nucleons weighs about 18.5

Expecting a custom Vanilla done in semi-compact withTrue Temper S3. Planning to build it with Record and Velomax Ascents. We'll see what it weighs.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Superlight Steel?

In general, I think that bike weight, and frame weight in particular, are not all that important. That said, I occasionally enjoy playing the weight weenie game. I built up a lugged, steel Heron Road frame into a 17.3-pound bike with a carbon fork and other lightweight goodies. Had I swapped in the Zipp wheels I got later, it would have been well under 17 pounds. The bare frame was 4.25 pounds. Complete retail price of this concoction was about $4000 or what a 17-pound Specialized or Trek was going for then (2 years ago).

Think of it this way, take the components of a 15-pound bike off of its 2.25-pound frame and put them on my Heron. 17 pounds.

Just for fun, I recently weighed a 1971 Raleigh International I just bought. Even with the heavy Brooks saddle, Weinmann center-pull brakes, and lots of chrome on its 531 frame, it came in at 22.5 pounds.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
My MXL

My Colnago Master X-Light weighs 19.74 pounds, sans the water bottle cages.

My Klein Quantum Race weigh somewhere in the 17 pound range.

I notice the difference with acceration and climbing with the al bike, but I think it all might be in my head. It just feels faster.

I weigh 195-200, so weight is not a big concern for me. The owner of my LBS is a big guy (250, big- not fat) and he rides a Mondonico Foco, which is heavier than my MXL because he has a steel fork. He is going over to a complete cf bike to cut weight, but I don't see it.

I found the skinny guys are better climbers, but what goes up, must come down.

·
100% Atkins free
34 Posts
Serotta CSi, 62.5, full Record, 20.12 pounds. CXP30 wheels are a little heavy; if I went with Ksyriums or Campys I could get it sub 20.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Lemond Zurich Frame re-equipped in campagnolo chorus

Open pro wheels, Thomson stem and post. Have no idea what it weighs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Lightest steel

TREKY said:
...I'm curious to find out the weight of your steel bike.My 531 lugged is just below 22 pounds without seat pack.I'm not that much of a weight weenie or I probably would'nt ride steel.To me the ride is much more important than a few extra pounds.Please give a decription of your bike and overall weight.
Using currently available tubesets and building techniques, the lightest steel bikes will weigh about 1/2 to 3/4's of a pound more than the lightest aluminum/ti/cf bike. No superlightweight frame, of any material, is a good idea for recreational riders.

Go here, http://tinyurl.com/34ggd, and click on "frame weight wars" for more info. This steel bike, http://tinyurl.com/2l2sv, a 55, weighed 15-odd pounds, built out of Deda EOM16.5. This one, http://tinyurl.com/2wnha, is a 58 and weighs about 17 even as you see it. At the other end of the spectrum, this one, http://tinyurl.com/37uby, is full Columbus MAX lugged with a MAX fork and it weighed a little over 22 as pictured with Campy Record 10 Triple (I know, the saddle is high, I had it set for me, not the customer, for the test ride after building it up). Look around on the net, there's lot's o' builders making wicked cool steel bikes. You can check out a sample of them on my links page: http://www.anvilbikes.com/story.php?module=listLink.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Stunning!

Those are some of the nicest frames I have seen in a very long time. I really like the looks of Greg Lepore's frame. I love the bottom bracket lugs. Do you have any pics of the entire frame? It's gorgeous!

Lovely work, you should post a few pics here to show off your work. I don't think anyone would care, as they are great looking bikes. Besides, it's not spam if it was requested, and I am requesting pics of Greg's retro frame.

Russ

·
Hill repeats, meh
145 Posts
My Crown Jewel

TREKY said:
I had my weighed just the other day - 18.7 w/ pedals, cages, and heavy training tubes/tires.

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
I ride a 84 Trek with Reynolds 531cs tubing and fork, and all Suntour Superbe components and bottle cages but no bottles. In it's racing form it weighed 20.5 (can't recall the exact ounce part), and that was with tubulars. Now the weight is up to 22.3 pounds due to the addition of clincher rims and tires, original TTT seat post was a tad lighter than the Superbe but the TTT broke 2 years ago so used the Superbe that was in storage, Superbe headset instead of the ugly lighter plastic headset, longer stem-an old age thing, wider handlebars and a Brooks saddle.

I believe this bike could get down to about the 18 pound range and maybe a tad below if I went back to the racing stuff except use the modern Carbon Fiber parts including the fork. The fork alone would lose me one pound, combine that with CF handlebars, CF seatpost, ultralight seats, and Campy Hyperion tubular wheels. The rest of the Superbe stuff is just as light as the highend modern components.

In my opinion the weight of frames have not changed that much since the early 80's, it's the carbon fiber stuff that's brought the total weight of the bike down..

·
Registered
602 Posts
My Steel....

DeBernardi Aelle.. lugged aelle steel with Profile carbon fork, Dura-ace/Ultegra 9 speed mix, OP/Ult wheels..........23.1 lbs.

In comparison...... the weight of the ring of beer fat around my belly?...10 lbs. A tour level climbing bike wouldn't help me as much as keeping the fridge closed. :mad:

·
Registered
214 Posts
weight

My Specialized Allez 54cm tange tubing, aluminum fork, campy stratus(yes it's old '95) 24.75 lbs. great for going down long steep hills. not so great for going up.

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
Steelman SR 853, full D/A

60 cm c-c, weights just over 19 lbs.(I think). I could replace the steel fork and steel stem to save weight, but what's the point - if I obsessed over weight I'd not carry water when I ride :). Also my wheels are relatively heavy :eek: - OP's with nice fat 250g 25c tires. Wouldn't get rid of those for the world.

Best bike I've ever owned, can't imagine a better bike for me. If I wanted superlight I'd start with myself...

·
Registered
21 Posts
froze said:
I ride a 84 Trek with Reynolds 531cs tubing and fork,
760? 770? Is it on vintage-trek.com?

I've got an 84 760, currently as a frame only. Frame weight (without fork) is 4lbs 4oz in a 58cm. I find frame weights much more useful than bike weights, but since that's the topic, my mutt-build Specialized Allez weighs somewhere around 23lbs without water. I don't remember what the frame weighs.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Richard Sachs 60cm, 19 lbs 5 oz

TREKY said:
That's with computer and water bottle cages in place, but no seat bag and no bottles. It's fully equipped with Record 10 components (Al crankset), ti Ibis stem, and heavy but comfy San Marco Regal (ti) saddle. I'll admit I'm cheating a bit with the wheels. It was weighed with a set of Zipp sewups with lightweight Dugast tubulars installed. It's right around 20 lbs with clincher Nucleons and Veloflex Pave tires installed.

Because Richard doesn't use tubing decals, I've no idea what brand of steel he used on this frame. He typically uses Reynolds and/or Dedacciai, but I don't know the specifics. But for a lugged steel frame, not tig-welded and not made from one of the new superlight steels like Foco or S3, it's pretty light. And rides great!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Maillot Jaune---18 lbs

Without saddle bag, pump, pedals, etc, my 2002 Lemond Maillot Jaune came in right at 18 lbs, per the store scale. I suspect that pedals didn't add a bunch.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
In comparison...... the weight of the ring of beer fat around my belly?...10 lbs. A tour level climbing bike wouldn't help me as much as keeping the fridge closed. :mad:
Amen brother!

Mike

·
Registered
778 Posts
This is kinda lame b/c I've not actually got the bike built up yet, but anyhow...I bought a Specialized Allez Comp Cro-Mo on ebay, Columbus FOCO 61cm, the seller said frame/fork/headset/seatpost binder were all together right at 5lbs. 9oz. I weighed my parts that are going on it and the total bike weight *should* be near 17.87lbs. We'll see I suppose. :cool: Also that is without pedals because I'm not sure of what pedals I'll be using.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.