Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A post over at MTBR got me thinking what does the other half think?

How do you feel about having weight from various things.. Pumps, tubes, packs, water, etc attached to your bike versus you body.

Personally.. I hate having anything attached to my bike. If I could carry water more easily I wouldn't even put water bottles on my frame. But carrying a camelbak on the road isn't comfortable and alternatives aren't very practical. I have a seat pack that’s pretty small.. but I dread the idea of slapping it on my road bike. Even if I only put a tube, multi-tool, and Co2 inflator I think I’ll feel it. I think I’d rather have those in my jersey pockets.. But I’ll try it anyways… Just to see.

Anyhow.. How do you all feel about it?

· Fast No More.
770 Posts
Good call.

I've been thinking about it too, due that other thread. I came up with a few more rationalizations for my preferences (bottle and seatbag for short rides on/off road, bottles/jersey pockets for long road rides, no bottles/camelbak for long mtb rides):

1.) On my MTB, i'm on and off the saddle and moving the bike around under me a lot more than on my road bike. In those instances, the bike is more "flickable" when there's less weight on it. it might be just a perception thing, but every little bit helps.

2.) Wearing a camelbak definitely cuts down on evaporative/convective cooling off my back. In the woods, the difference between wearing and not wearing the Camlback is smaller because I'm just not going as fast. On the road, the difference is much more pronounced. And I even own one of those VauDe packs with mesh against your back and the packbag cantilevered off your back to maximize airflow - still not much better than a regular backpack

3.) Riding in the woods, I just end up carrying more stuff - food, layers, first aid, etc. Most of my road rides, being on roads, aren't ridiculously far from civilization. But some of the woods riding is pretty far off the beaten path, and the "ten essentials" midset starts to take over.

· Registered
657 Posts
I prefer to carry the items on my road bike for a couple reasons:

1.) It leaves jersey pockets for consumables during a ride (Clif bar, Shot Bloc's, etc)
2.) Gear mounted on the frame lowers the center of gravity.
3.) Should I crash, I would prefer to have fewer things getting jabbed into my back.

· I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought about the crash and jab part.. Hence why I'm going to try the seat bag out. If I don't like it I can always switch back. The only nice part about the seat bag is that I'll be able to keep the tube, tool, and inflator in there and not worry about it every time I gear up to ride. The only things left in my pockets will be food and clothing maybe?

· Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
I hate having stuff attached to me. First off, being fairly big (6'2", 190 lbs), even a 20 lb bike is pretty light. I commute, and throw everything onto a rear rack. I actually like how it stabilizes the bike. When I go out and ride my light, geared roadie with nothing but a seat pack, it feels way too squirrely for the first hour. On my commuter, then I get out of the saddle and sprint between lights, the bike stays stable, and I can put more torque on the bars without pulling wheelies or weaving all over the damn place.

Plus, I hate the added weight on my back, or pulling on my jersey and swinging around when I'm out of the saddle.

But after a couple of hours on a lighter bike, I get used to it. It's nice not having a 20+ lb commuter bike with 10+ lbs of commuter gear to haul around.

· Registered
14,776 Posts
Exactly

ZoSoSwiMThe only nice part about the seat bag is that I'll be able to keep the tube said:
You've finally got it. That "only nice part" is a major factor, and it's not the only nice part. You have it there and don't have to worry about it. And all the hard poke-y things are not in your pocket where they might hurt you. The only things in the pockets are things you might frequently reach for: food, hanky, clothes (vest, legwarmers), and (for me) cell phone. All that other "every ride" stuff is in the seat bag, and stays there. Each bike has its own stocked bag. Mine also contains a very small combination cable lock. The bag also has a little cash (5 or 10 bucks), and a patch kit (in addition to the tube) is a must.

A bag equipped that way is not that big. It won't turn your lightweight bike into a hippo. After a couple of rides you won't even notice it.

· keep rubber side down
624 Posts
Some stuff you never want to forget: pump (frame pump, full size), basic small multitool, spare tube and/or glueless patches and tire levers go under the saddle. It's always on there, replaced as I use it. On me are food, money/card, cleat covers...

· Registered
5,358 Posts
I sure can't feel the difference between having a small seat bag with a tube and levers in it vs leaving it off (I take them off for crits). Maybe you can.

I do notice when I have a bunch of stuff in my jersey pockets. And it really gets my attention when I flat and find that I have left my pump and tube at home. So I have a seat bag and pump on every bike.

· Registered
638 Posts
Im going to say that after a couple years of being pretty serious with bikes that i definately prefer the weight on me while mountain biking. First off grabbing for a bottle on singletrack isnt exactly safe in most areas, also the bottles just dont hold enough for a good 3 or 4 hour mountain ride. I also found that with the camelback on tightly (how it should be) I feel way more nimble on the trails since part of riding is being able to throw the bike around below you to conform to the terrain. Another big thing is the protection a camelback has to offer. Last season I was out a Palos in Illinois and flipped over the bars pretty bad. I landed with my back on a rock and could have seriously hurt myself had it not been for the extra padding the camelback puts along the spine. For road rides I use waterbottles and my jerseys pouches.... on the road you cant hide from the sun like when youre in the forest so a camelback wouldnt be so good to have.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.