Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to find any info on this old 9spd hubset any where.

I've been offered a brand new set by a riding buddy for a new wheel build, but due to lack of info I'm guessing they were not very popular. Has anyone ever built/ridden with these hubs?

(alternatively I could build using some 2006 record hubs that I had originally planned to use)

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
there has never been any weight restrictions on the hubs. go build away. post photo when your finished.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess fact they were only in production for a couple of years made me worry.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
bolo yeung said:
I can't seem to find any info on this old 9spd hubset any where.

I've been offered a brand new set by a riding buddy for a new wheel build, but due to lack of info I'm guessing they were not very popular. Has anyone ever built/ridden with these hubs?

(alternatively I could build using some 2006 record hubs that I had originally planned to use)

Any thoughts?
If you're a weight-weenie you'll want the 2006 hubs. Record Titanium 9 speed rear hubs with 10mm axles weigh about 70 grams more than the new design with the over-sized aluminum axle.

Campagnolo also flirted with cartridge bearings in the Record Titanium front hub for 1997-1998, although the pre-load is still adjustable as on a conventional cup-and-cone setup.

Most important is that the old 10mm axle hubs look better, especially the rear hub.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Drew Eckhardt said:
Most important is that the old 10mm axle hubs look better, especially the rear hub.
Amen to that. Those hubs are BEAUTIFUL in a very classic sense. I've still got a pair tucked away for a "someday" build...the newer stuff is FUGLY by comparison. The 2006 stuff is no doubt excellent -but -as they would likely have more resale value AND look a good bit more like Shimano mtn hubs........ditch em.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts