Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 5200 series Trek frame - 1998-2000 ish with 1" threaded headset and Icon Rail fork (stock). How much do you think the stock fork weighed.

Want to change to Chris King 1" threadless and all carbon fork. What weight savings would I gain, any issues, and worth it? Rest of bike is pretty nice with mostly top notch components.

·
Registered
242 Posts
You'd decrease the total bike weight by......

MSUTANDEM said:
Have a 5200 series Trek frame - 1998-2000 ish with 1" threaded headset and Icon Rail fork (stock). How much do you think the stock fork weighed.

Want to change to Chris King 1" threadless and all carbon fork. What weight savings would I gain, any issues, and worth it? Rest of bike is pretty nice with mostly top notch components.
A LOT.

Converting from a 1" threaded fork (steel steerer I am guessing) to a full carbon fork with and threadless headset (and a new stem, don't forget) will knock at least 1 pound off the bike, but probably more like 1.5 pounds.

Make sure you get the correct rake fork and remember that you will need at least a new stem and probably new bars.

1" forks are hard to come buy these days. I have a friend that did this exact change (yesterday in fact!) and he searched far and wide for a fork. He settled on a new, full carbon Reynolds for for about $300.

CK headsets will outlast you!

A new CK headset, fork and stem (and bars?) will be about $500, depending on which fork.

Time for a new frameset?

Look at the total cost and you might just decide that a new frameset would serve you better.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CK Headset $130 Could go a lot less and probably be happy. Need a new stem anyway, fit isn't best with current one.

Fork - anywhere from $130 (Performance all carbon <400g) to $400

What is labor to change a headset and replace a fork? I don't have the tools for that job.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Labor?

MSUTANDEM said:
CK Headset $130 Could go a lot less and probably be happy. Need a new stem anyway, fit isn't best with current one.

Fork - anywhere from $130 (Performance all carbon <400g) to $400

What is labor to change a headset and replace a fork? I don't have the tools for that job.

I couldn't really say, but I'd budget somewhere between $75-100 for labor. Ask your favorite shop... I do almost everything myself, and my labor rate is $0/hr.

Have any friends with a stocked garage bike shop? You need a headset removal tool and press (for install). For the fork, you need to know how to carefully and correctly cut a carbon steerer. You don't want to screw that up.

You could probably spend <1/2 the cost on the headset (vs CK) and be fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got a 2000 5200 and I just made the swap to an all carbon fork.

The old Air Rail fork with 8" of steerer came in at 610g.
I picked up a new Easton EC90 SL for $180. It comes in at 320g with about 8.25" of steerer.
Also got a new Cane Creek S-6 headset for $60.

If you can find the right parts at the right prices it's not a bad deal. I needed a new headset anyways so I figured why not!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.