Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i started some weight training a week ago, mon - wed - fri, to try and improve on my general strength for hills and bursts, and i was wondering what everyone eats and when (before - immediately after - later in the day after excersize) to help them recover from non - aerobic muscle building activity like this. i've been not hugely tore-up but definitely noticably sore. the only friend i ever talked about it a year ago said he had to overeat to see a noticable improvement aqnd then ride off the extra fat gained with muscle, but i'm sure that's not the only experience out there. i bought some spiru-teen protien powder to suppliment my protien intake a couple days ago. also i'm trying to cut down on my soy intake, i don't eat that much peanuts and i'm vegan. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
wooden legs said:
so i started some weight training a week ago, mon - wed - fri, to try and improve on my general strength for hills and bursts, and i was wondering what everyone eats and when (before - immediately after - later in the day after excersize) to help them recover from non - aerobic muscle building activity like this. i've been not hugely tore-up but definitely noticably sore. the only friend i ever talked about it a year ago said he had to overeat to see a noticable improvement aqnd then ride off the extra fat gained with muscle, but i'm sure that's not the only experience out there. i bought some spiru-teen protien powder to suppliment my protien intake a couple days ago. also i'm trying to cut down on my soy intake, i don't eat that much peanuts and i'm vegan. thanks for the help.
I read a review paper a while back on the issue of "extra" protein consumption for muscle building. If I understood and remember correctly, basically what's out there is a mixed bag. Some studies show it's effective other don't, there is no consensus. I believe the authors concluded that the mixed results were probably due to the fact that WHEN you consume the protein is as important as how much you consume.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Asap

Same for weight lifting as hard rides. Try to get yourself a good combo of protein and carbs (simple OK after hard effort to replace glycogen stores) asap after weight lifting. I've read in the past of an hour window to get the fuel where it has to go but even more recent article stated 1/2 hour. This is the window where your body is most primed to shuttle the nutrients to your hungry muscles for repair and recovery.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys, makes sense. my stomach muscles are so torn up it's not funny and i need to try to prevent that from happening again when i return to doing situps on wed, i'll try the glycogen window style rule. a bunch of people reccommended an emphasis on stretching, like as much time stretching or more as lifting, so i'll up the stretching time after circuts as well. thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts