Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sure this question has been addressed in the past, but please give me your feedback as I am looking at getting new wheels and want to put the best together for my needs.

I ride between 1 and 1.5 hrs/day, mixture of brisk casual riding and sprinting. and am starting to train seriously. I do not race but am interested in doing so in the future. I am average height and slim build, so not very hard on wheels.

how much of a difference does rotational mass (rim weight) as compared to aerodynamic resistance. I know the amount of spokes is not as big an issue (because of them being closer to the center of rotation and relatively light mass). also what are the true braking differences between carbon and alluminum rims? I hear carbon rims stop slower.

I ride tubular rims, and plan on continuing to do so. right now both wheels are 32 spoke (record rear hub, older flat profile rim - sealed bearing japanese front hub, escape velocity rim ). what I am thinking may be best is go with an aero rear rim (carbon fiber) and a new front hub (perhaps radially laced).

also what are the true benefits of radial lacing on the front wheel...and bladed spokes (or tapered).

thanks again all.

kevin

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
bianchiTT said:
sure this question has been addressed in the past, but please give me your feedback as I am looking at getting new wheels and want to put the best together for my needs.

I ride between 1 and 1.5 hrs/day, mixture of brisk casual riding and sprinting. and am starting to train seriously. I do not race but am interested in doing so in the future. I am average height and slim build, so not very hard on wheels.

how much of a difference does rotational mass (rim weight) as compared to aerodynamic resistance. I know the amount of spokes is not as big an issue (because of them being closer to the center of rotation and relatively light mass). also what are the true braking differences between carbon and alluminum rims? I hear carbon rims stop slower.

I ride tubular rims, and plan on continuing to do so. right now both wheels are 32 spoke (record rear hub, older flat profile rim - sealed bearing japanese front hub, escape velocity rim ). what I am thinking may be best is go with an aero rear rim (carbon fiber) and a new front hub (perhaps radially laced).

also what are the true benefits of radial lacing on the front wheel...and bladed spokes (or tapered).

thanks again all.

kevin
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/search.php

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
If you were really interested in racing, you would be doing it now.

"mixture of brisk casual riding and sprinting"

Wow!......I don't know what to say.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Do you have lots of money to spend for carbon rims? If so, they are the ultimate. You can get a set of aero carbon tubulars that weigh under 1000g... and <1200g is really easy. Sort of bypasses the whole aero vs weight question. In general, aero rules. Yes, aero spokes and deep rims.

It doesn't make that much difference though in speed (there is no equipment that does), so if you aren't competitive or don't have a lot of money, don't sweat it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, you certainly live up to your name. sorry that I have a life and work 60+ hrs/wk. not to mention that little setback us in new orleans had called hurricaine katrina (that wiped out our entire city).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.