Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a question regarding your actual weight. I weighed myself when i woke up this morning and i weighed 56.4kg's then when i came back from my 5 hour ride i weighed 54.5kg"s. I was just wondering if my actual weight is my weight after the ride because of loss of fluid. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
B15serv said:
very possible. i assume you were either wearing the same clothes or none at all.
I was wearing my bike jersey and shorts afer my ride and nothing in the morning.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I

do but i was just wondering if my weight after a ride when i have lost my 'water weight' is my actual weight because i usually ride in the morning and find that im about a kilo heavier the next morning than if i had riden in the arvo.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
BeeCharmer said:
If you lost two kilos after a 5 hr ride, you're not drinking enough.

The important thing about weighing yourself is to do it the same way each time. Morning after your business is done is the most common.
I once lost about 6lbs after a 2 hours + track practice session.

That was nuts and I thought I was gonna have one heck of a bad evening but thankfully, I actually felt pretty okay.

Yes that was water weight but damn, I sure as heck won't recommend going through that!

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Actual weight

parfike said:
do but i was just wondering if my weight after a ride when i have lost my 'water weight' is my actual weight because i usually ride in the morning and find that im about a kilo heavier the next morning than if i had riden in the arvo.
What you are wishing we would tell you is your "actual weight" is, in fact, your "dehydrated weight." Don't kid yourself: it does no good. :)

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
parfike said:
Just a question regarding your actual weight. I weighed myself when i woke up this morning and i weighed 56.4kg's then when i came back from my 5 hour ride i weighed 54.5kg"s. I was just wondering if my actual weight is my weight after the ride because of loss of fluid. Any thoughts?
They are both your actual weight. :eek:

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I can lose up to 4 pounds on some of my longer training rides.

What's a water bottle weight 2 pounds, you could easily lose a couple of water bottles through your sweat, breathing and taking a leak out on the road.

There is no good time to weigh yourself. I prefer checking for belly fat, if you have some you need to lose it regardless of your weight.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
I think the rule of thumb is, you start to lose serious performance capability at about 2% of bodyweight lost. Much beyond that is getting into danger territory.

So yeah, especially in hot / indoor workouts, you want to weigh before and after (calculate also the weight of how many bottles you drank) to see if you're drinking enough.

In Texas hot summers, I can down 3 large bottles in a 2.5 hour ride and lose about 5-6 lbs vs my starting weight of 180. That's a pretty long/hot/hard ride.

·
The Dropped 1
670 Posts
Stop weighing yourself so much! :)

Water weight will fluctuate a ton before/after rides and just throughout the day. Make sure you are hydrating enough while riding and after - I prefer plain water post ride to hydrate (though I do use a recovery drink mix).

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
parfike said:
Dehydrating from a ride is normal but should not be too much.

The best time to weight yourself is in the morning, after bathroom, and before a meal. You will see less weight noise from, hydration, fueling and relieving.

I think I remember that loosing any more than 2% of you body weigh in water is BAD. So the most water weight you should loose on a ride is around 1.12 kg.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
saccycling said:
You have to burn 3500 calories to lose 1lbs of body weight.
So how long a bike ride is that? Sure you can burn a lot over a short period of time, but the longer the ride you go on, the lower your burn rate as for endurance.

·
The Cube
1,113 Posts
don't look at it this way. as was said in a prior reply, both are your actual weights. if you think the post ride weight is actual because of fluid loss, then it would stand to reason that if you didn't eat or drink anything at all after your ride for the next 10 days, you'd have even more fluid loss and be at your actual weight. wait another 10 days, and you'd be at your new actual weight. of course you wouldn't do this for the sake of finding out what your "actual weight," is. drink a liter of water after the ride, and you'll have gained 1 kg, etc.

so what you want to do is monitor weight by measuring it under the same conditions each time. a good way is to check every day after the morning piss. then log that and look over time what is happening. Try "physicsdiet.com" or some other weight log, or make a spreadsheet, or sharpen a pencil and write it down every day, then look at the trend.

What you want to avoid are variables before weighing in, like the wrestler who chews tobacco to lose weight in spitting before weigh in, or the anorexic who doesn't eat all day thursday so she can go out on friday because she'll have made her being seen in public weight goal. Or the cyclist who waits 3 hours after the ride to eat or drink so he can have tose few more pisses to drop those last few grams before weighing in, thus ruining his recovery and making the workout less worthwhile.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Burn rate

Killroy said:
So how long a bike ride is that? Sure you can burn a lot over a short period of time, but the longer the ride you go on, the lower your burn rate as for endurance.
Your calorie burn rate depends on your speed, your weight, and your metabolic efficiency, but a reasonable number for 20 mph (32 km/hr) on the flats is 30-35 calories per mile. 3500 calories is a century, more or less depending on terrain and wind.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts