Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With less than one month before race season starts I've found my riding schedule has been completely destroyed because my current semester's class schedule, this leaves me MWF without bike time. I have been spending those late nights at the gym doing leg presses and curls and things. While I now have quads that look like robocop I am wondering if I should be doing anything else. Upper body? Running? Cardio? What do your pre-season wieghts look like (if any at all)?

·
Banned
349 Posts
You can built endurance with a weight routine. High reps and lower weights per set. But it's not anything like cardio.

Early season and off season weight routines for cyclists often focus on building upper body and core strength -- areas essential for cycling, but not conditioned with specificity through riding. (Riding conditions and builds endurance, but weight work can focus on a specific region, or weakness.)

I don't race, and I'm an old fart. But I do weight work. I enjoy it and it's more pleasant than a ride in the rain -- which we get a lot of. But the "weight work" sometimes is comprised of "cross training" work such as cutting/splitting firewood from fallen trees, tossing limbs over the pasture fences, stripping limbs and running them through a chipper (upper body stuff).

Google can find heaps and heaps of cycling specific weight routines for you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You Might Also Want to Add...

...plyometrics to compliment the weight training. This will help transition your gains in the weight room to the bike.

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
LetsGoOutside said:
With less than one month before race season starts I've found my riding schedule has been completely destroyed because my current semester's class schedule, this leaves me MWF without bike time. I have been spending those late nights at the gym doing leg presses and curls and things. While I now have quads that look like robocop I am wondering if I should be doing anything else. Upper body? Running? Cardio? What do your pre-season wieghts look like (if any at all)?
Your time would be better spent doing cardio, whether it be on the trainer, running, stairmaster, etc.

If you have a lot of available time on Tuesday, Thursday and the weekends, make those your longer/more intense training days, and make the other days recovery.

I believe that weight lifting can be beneficial to cycling, but with one month and no plan, you're better off avoiding it.

Silas

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hmmm...

SilasCL said:
Your time would be better spent doing cardio, whether it be on the trainer, running, stairmaster, etc.

If you have a lot of available time on Tuesday, Thursday and the weekends, make those your longer/more intense training days, and make the other days recovery.

I believe that weight lifting can be beneficial to cycling, but with one month and no plan, you're better off avoiding it.

Silas
If you have time for the gym you should have time for the trainer. Get on the trainer on Wednesday and get some harder efforts in there. What day do you rest? Sounds like you're fine just by throwing a trainer workout in on Wednesday, lift on Monday if you're not cooked from riding on the weekend.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
i agree with a lot said above.
weights are good if you are 3 months out of your first race.
its advised for older racers to keep lifting but 1 time per week.
being that you are college aged your body will keep your mass better then when we age.

if time is short increase intensity. 50min on a trainer at a dizzy speed will get you in a good spot for crits. Do it longer when you can.

big legs are great in a sprint but if your cardio isn't there you won't be either...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all the great replies, tues, thurs and weekends are my big ride days. The trainer had to stay at home, there is no place to do it seeing as my dorm room is a 10x15 box shared with my roommate who I am sure would not appreciate the room smelling like a gym. Looks like I may be throwing in some cardio when I go now, maybe just lift once a week. I don't keep mass well, I have always been a super skinny guy (6' 135lbs) so I see my muscle mass start to drop as soon as 2 weeks after I stop lifting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts