Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike to Work Day accident claims life of bicyclist05/16/08 06:46:14Related Content
http://www.examiner.com
An accident on Bike to Work Day has claimed the life of a San Mateo man who rode his bicycle to work every day.
Authorities say 66-year-old Joseph Castillo died in a bicycling accident Thursday on his way to his job as a mechanic for United Airlines at San Francisco International Airport.

Castillo was found by another cyclist around 6 a.m. on the Bay Trail in Coyote Point Park in San Mateo.

When paramedics arrived, they pronounced him dead at the scene.

A county parks official says Castillo apparently ran into a three-foot-tall wooden barrier next to the bike path and flipped over it.

Castillo was wearing a helmet at the time of the accident. An autopsy is planned to determine the exact cause of death.
Information from: The Examiner, http://www.examiner.com

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
No death is to be made light of-however going quickly in a bike accident while commuting isn't one of the worst ways to go.

I feel for his family and friends who are no doubt quite shocked and saddened.

·
Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
I speculate that he had a heart attack or stroke and then flipped over the fence.

·
Registered
938 Posts
MikeBiker said:
I speculate that he had a heart attack or stroke and then flipped over the fence.
+1

He was 66 years old.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Plank said:
+1

He was 66 years old.
Well hell! I'll be 66 in December, Maybe I should quit riding my 5-7000 miles/year? There are plenty of 40-50 year old guys in our club that'd love it if I quit. They wouldn't have to be so embarrassed.

God speed to this unfortunate cyclist. IMO it's always sad when someone dies - cyclist or non cyclist.

·
Registered
197 Posts
mr versatile. i think that mikebiker and plank where merely stating that because he rode his bike every day and was surely a decent bike handler, the most probable explanation for his demise was a medical emergency followed by the crash. and the statement that he was 66 is just a fact. Generally speaking as ones body ages there is a likelyhood for medical emegrencies to arise.

they arent ripping on old people. Big respect to anyone who rides their entire life.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Hey Hippie. My post was meant as a tongue - in - cheek joke. It's all good. I knew they weren't dissing me, or anyone else for that matter. :)

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,041 Posts
I've ridden through there more than a few times. That park is closed, I believe, until sun-up. Sunrise was around 6:00 AM that day so he was riding in the dark. Did he run into one of those barricades they put up to prevent cars from driving into the park? I don't recall any 3 foot high barricades anywhere in that place, though I have not ridden through every nook or cranny of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.