Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<o></o>
I can’t figure this out and I am curious if it affects other people..
Slightly embarrassing question but I figure someone must know the answer.

So… When I work out hard.. for a longer period of time like 2 or so hours and up. My body gets weird and I get bad gas and my stool decides to not want to stay in my body.. So basically when I get home it’s run to the bath room.. I’ve tried various types of food and drinks during my workouts. I’ve also changed what I eat before.

Nothing seems to change my body’s reaction to intense workouts. This never happened while swimming in college or high school. I don’t get this from intense gym workouts or anything else. Seems like intense cardio from cycling has some effect.. So yeah.. Any insight would be helpful.. Thanks!

· Registered
5,270 Posts
ZoSoSwiM said:
I’ve also changed what I eat before.
When you say "before", how long are you talking about?

I try to leave three to four hours between meal and workout, and the meal should be light and easy-to-digest. A slightly hungry sensation before a workout is not a bad thing IMO, provided you are taking in calories on the bike.

Read this:
http://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HNT?PAGE=ARTICLE&ARTICLE.ID=1279
and this:
http://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HNT?PAGE=ARTICLE&ARTICLE.ID=8691

· I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't eat and jump on my bike by any means. I usually stick with something simple like cereal or peanut butter on toast. My afternoon workouts are usually 4 hours after my lunch so it's not an immediate ride after eating then.

I've tried various foods and it seems like my body just goes into over drive or something after really hard efforts.

· Formosan Cyclocross
3,380 Posts
I have had something like that happen when I up the exercise and eat really healthy. The intestinal bacteria get really excited and multiply above normal levels causing some odd weight gain, gas and glutinous stools. The condition eventually fades away.

· Registered
6 Posts
its the physiology

Intense execrise shunts the flow of blood to the intestines so that it can be used elsewhere in the body. The sudden surge of blood back to the intestines is overloading the system thus the relieval urges you are feeling. As long as there is no blood in your stools or urine you should be fine.

· I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ahhhh glad to see something to relieve my worries!! Thanks guys. I figured it was something related to metabolism and blood flow but I don't wanna guess..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.